Chrome question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
Has anybody ever painted over chrome? What kind of prep work do you have to do to get the paint to stick? Is is possible to remove chrome? Can powder coating go over chrome? Does powder coating add thickness to item, creating tighter tolerances?
The reason I am asking all of these questions is that I have Kuyrakyn Iso grips that are chrome with black rubber inserts. I can remove the rubber so the chrome can be covered with black paint or powder coating. Rubber is a tight fit already.
Any ideas??

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 7
Has anybody ever painted over chrome? What kind of prep work do you have to do to get the paint to stick? Is is possible to remove chrome? Can powder coating go over chrome? Does powder coating add thickness to item, creating tighter tolerances?
The reason I am asking all of these questions is that I have Kuyrakyn Iso grips that are chrome with black rubber inserts. I can remove the rubber so the chrome can be covered with black paint or powder coating. Rubber is a tight fit already.
Any ideas??

Paint is old school and also on pegs paint would look nice for a lil while and the wear would wear through the paint.
Yes you can powder coat over chrome, and yes it adds thickness any where from 1-3 MM thick, depending on how much you powder you spray, not enough you get fish eye to much and you get orange peel. certain areas where tolereance is an issue can be prevented just as paint. Chrome can also be removed either acid dipped in a tank or stripped with a blaster of a course material.
Remove the rubber and have them powder coated but tell the person and also give them the rubber inserts so they can perform the job correctly the first time, or take a dremel tool and remove the powder where the inserts go.
Paint may hold up on grips, but I just hate paint now that I seen results of powder coating and its durability

Paint is old school and also on pegs paint would look nice for a lil while and the wear would wear through the paint.
Yes you can powder coat over chrome, and yes it adds thickness any where from 1-3 MM thick, depending on how much you powder you spray, not enough you get fish eye to much and you get orange peel. certain areas where tolereance is an issue can be prevented just as paint. Chrome can also be removed either acid dipped in a tank or stripped with a blaster of a course material.
Remove the rubber and have them powder coated but tell the person and also give them the rubber inserts so they can perform the job correctly the first time, or take a dremel tool and remove the powder where the inserts go.
Paint may hold up on grips, but I just hate paint now that I seen results of powder coating and its durability

Great advice!!

I would think the cost of refinishing the Kuryakin grips would be more than the cost of picking up some new grips more to your liking...hell, you could even resell the kuryakins and put the money toward the new ones. Just MHO.

Lankee, Did I read in another post that you do powder coating? How much to do my grips?

Did you want them powder coated in high gloss black?
25.00 + Shipping & Handling

1 day turn around. Send them with the rubber inserts and I will also due to the matching for you.

I would think the cost of refinishing the Kuryakin grips would be more than the cost of picking up some new grips more to your liking...hell, you could even resell the kuryakins and put the money toward the new ones. Just MHO.

Maybe he likes the style to the current grips he has but doesnt like the chrome. Part of customizing your bike to be an orginal. Cost a little more to be different, unless you settle for being a Regular Joe.

Maybe he likes the style to the current grips he has but doesnt like the chrome. Part of customizing your bike to be an orginal. Cost a little more to be different, unless you settle for being a Regular Joe.
You are correct! Love the grips, just not the chrome.

I was thinking of a satin black to match masters & levers.

You are correct! Love the grips, just not the chrome.

I was thinking of a satin black to match masters & levers.

I don't have any satin black currently in powder. I only have high gloss black, chrome, silver, and clear. For an 8oz. bottle of powder (equvilent to 4 cans of spray) it cost about $12.00
By the time I used electricity for the use of the tools I would be working for about 3.00 an hour, last time I checked I am a US citizen :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back