CL scam? How will he get me?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alorio1

Reaction score
I just listed an outdrive for a boat on CL and got this email. I know it's a scam but how does the scam work? I told him to call me and this is his reply...........

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail... I am currently on a tight working schedule so the picture of the item will suffice as I may not be able to come see it now..I will be buying from you so please kindly withdraw the advert from C.LIST due to disturbance and i will be giving you an additional $50 for keeping the item for me... Please be informed that i will be paying with a certified check from my Bank ..I will need the following details to mail the payment as soon as possible...

Name to be on the payment...
Home address___
City____
State____
Zip Code_____
Cell phone #______
final price____

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your money.. I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be delivered within 2-3 working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone# and will receive your calls via email ** N.B UPS does not deliver to P.O box addresses.

Plus with all of that info...your name address, etc....he can do a search for you and find out anything that he wants, INCLUDING your families names, and even what magazines that you like to read.

Thanks guys, I knew someone on the forum would know, but while he's checking all my info he better check and see how many rounds of 12 Gauge triple 000 buck shot I have purchased over the last few months....:biglaugh:

He's just trying to steal your personal information, it doesn't take much to take over somebody's identify nowadays. Just tell him to F off and be done with it.

He can use that information to data mine you and get enough info to get passwords to your cell carrier, credit cards, bank, email, etc. Potentially stealing your identity and buying a house or another major purchase on your credit then depending on how cautious they are, even declaring bankruptcy in your name, permanently ruining your credit.

Ya with that info he can act as pretty much any agency he wants (potential employer, etc) and pull credit ratings, pull your driving history and get your soc. sec. number and own you.

Don't even reply. I almost got scammed out of almost a grand when I was planning a trip to Paris a couple years ago. I even got a phone number to call "him". Nobody ever answered. The trip went off without a hitch, and I kept all my money.

Cash is king, when you don't know someone. Checks are easy to duplicate Joe. Invite the A hole to meet you at the alligator farm near your place. One push and the worlds a better place!

I always tell them I have friends all over the world (which isn't lying) and that I am sure one of them would happily meet up with them to get the cash directly from him. Usually I get no response back.

Cash is king, when you don't know someone. Checks are easy to duplicate Joe. Invite the A hole to meet you at the alligator farm near your place. One push and the worlds a better place!

That's a hell of an idea Steve-o....believe I'll try something similar next time the opportunity arises....."We don't know each other and in the interests of mutual protection I would like to meet you at a public place.....how about the Dismal Swamp combat training grounds, this coming Thursday?

Joe, it sure does sound like data mining.....

Man got this all the time, I reply back send your complete info name number address shipping company.. I never got a reply back...

It didn't take long for the vultures to jump on my listing. I changed my contact info so they can only go thru CL to email me. That was my first time to ever list anything on there.

Most of the time, what will follow is he will tell you that the money is waiting, but you have to pay his agent to pick it up, so just send $$$$ and the check will be released

I lead them along until they tell me where to send the money then print out all the email and send them to the police in the city he tells you to send the money. Nothing ever happens, but I just hope that some day someone with get caught.

The funny thing is that they do so many of these that they have no idea what they are buying. I love going back to them and asking them "well are you buying the Honda or the Yamaha?" and they have no idea so they tell you they want both. and I reply both what?

On my Vmax I went from selling him a $4000 vmax to selling him 2 BMWs for $10,000. when he gave me the address to send the money, I said OH Great! I driveing right by there to visit my Son...

It can be entertaining for a while. English is not their strong suit so you can call them all sorts of things that would not show up in a dictionary

I always tell them I have friends all over the world (which isn't lying) and that I am sure one of them would happily meet up with them to get the cash directly from him. Usually I get no response back.

I was looking at a tractor one time and it sounded a bit fishy and after a few back and forth emails I asked for the specific address because I found out that a cousin just moved there (not true) and I wanted them to check it out for me before I made the commitment. After that the emails stopped. I even egged them on asking for the info and no response. Lmao

G

Ever seen the movie "catch me if you can". The checks were not real!

G

+1

this happened to me years ago..a guy actually sent me a fake bank check for a bike i was sellin...
I brought it to the credit union..it took them almost a day to find out it was fake.

they said if i deposited it id be in trouble as well.

they told me goto police, so I did..they wanted me to fil out like 10 pages of paperwork if I wanted them to go after the guy.
I took the paperwork home, and then said screw it, the guy already took too much time from me..and nobody else seemed to give a rip. so I never filled parework out.

Good thing I didnt send the "item" (my bike) to the "shipper".

When they refer to a motorcycle as an "item for sale", theres a pretty good chance its a scam. ;)

T

Back