Clean up tail light/signal area

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200908_065501.jpg20200908_065632.jpg

Some progress here.

I started with some experimental PCB, but I did not like it at all.

So I was thinking how to get it done.

I'm not an Engineer and I do not have any background in this direction, so I started reading and experimenting.
Never used Eagle CAD before ... so I had to learn this as well

I thought it might be helpful to etch my own PCB, so I played around with the Heat Toner Transfer Method, the Cold Transfer (Aceton), but I was not happy with the results.
Now the Board is painted black and used a laser to remove the details which I don't need in the final PCB so I can etch it.

In this design I'm using voltage divider to get the 12V inputs 'translated' to the 5V the arduino can take as an input, but I'm still not happy, so today I ordered a few Optocoupler ... let's see how this works :D

If somebody has input / hints, I'm listening.

I need to open my own thread for it. It is somehow fun to see when things work.
I just wanted to have my own (customizable) LED BLink pattern. ;)

Currently I'm still waiting for the delivery of the Optocouplers...

In this design I'm using voltage divider to get the 12V inputs 'translated' to the 5V the arduino can take as an input, but I'm still not happy, so today I ordered a few Optocoupler

If somebody has input / hints, I'm listening.

I don't really know what you are trying to do but it looks like you are using an arduino to flash a few LEDs???? An arduino probably is more processing power than the processors that took Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins to the moon in 1971!!! :O

Have you looked at Mircrochip PICs - programmable in C, 14, 16, 22 pin packages for about $1. You will require a programmer e.g. Pickit 3 about $ 10 and away yer go.

Well, Arduino Code is easy to update, just need to plug the cable into the usb, doesn't matter that the thing is inside the bike or not as long as there is the USB connection available.
I used ATtiny's for other things (also Bike related). Maybe still overkill, but when I need to think about that I wasted some processing power ... I should start thinking if I really _need_ a VMax to cruise around town.... the answer is NO.... but I want.

But I love the WS2812 LED strips. :D

I hear what you are saying, sticking with what you are familiar with.

Re. Microchip PIC, a fraction of the cost, size and can support in circuit programming.

I daresay with a bit of thought, a custom flashing sequence could be done purely in hardware but it would result in more components than s single PIC.

So many things to learn.... I'm just a Hobbyist, exploring things.

Unfortunately, none of the Peeps here share my interests, so I'm always teaching myself.

But you made me curious (which results always in spending money for things I don't need) :D

Btw, I like the customizable flashing sequences, changing by pressing a button.... maybe I try some of the stuff you mentioned in the future, but I'm still not finished with this one.

I don't enjoy movies or something like that, I enjoy tinkering. Doing it not because I want the result, I'm doing it because I like to do it.

Unfortunately, none of the Peeps here share my interests, so I'm always teaching myself.

But you made me curious (which results always in spending money for things I don't need)

welcome to my world. my latest project was a circuit to replace the self-cancelling indicator since the original one's flash rate did not conform to UK laws; also the flash rate is independent of load but unfortunately due to a balls up it won't work with LED bulbs (I have plans for a mk2 version).

The circuit is housed in a cheap indicator relay unit off ebay so is direct replacement of the original.

Attachments

• indicator2.jpg
    indicator2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 16
This is really cool.
How it started was that I tried to find a brakelight flasher for my BMW which has a PWM controlled running / brakelight, so the cheap ones from Amazon did not work.
I found one, but I thought, let's give it a try ... I started with an Arduino, full size and ended up with a tiny breadboard style pcb, Attiny85, 78L05 etc...
Learned a lot.
At the end, I paid "a bit" more than I was hoping for. :D

When it comes to cases etc, I'm using CAD (also self taught), Lasercutting and 3D Printing (even for VMax Parts).

3D Printing (even for VMax Parts).

Do you think you are able to 3D print the red and grey switches on the handle bars in a durable plastic?

The original ones fade badly and replacements* in good condition are impossible to find - then I reckon that is a money spinner; ok you won't get Bill Gates rich but once you have the dimensions (the time consuming part) you can bang them out at will and would help many a Vmax (and virago?) owner.

*someone may have the part number for these?

Do you think you are able to 3D print the red and grey switches on the handle bars in a durable plastic?

The original ones fade badly and replacements* in good condition are impossible to find - then I reckon that is a money spinner; ok you won't get Bill Gates rich but once you have the dimensions (the time consuming part) you can bang them out at will and would help many a Vmax (and virago?) owner.

*someone may have the part number for these?
We're actually working on this as we speak!

Back