Cleaner suggestions for electrical components.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
Yeah... the start button sticks, the horn button is iffy, and the turn signal switches feel like they may be sticky.

Big part of that may be the fact that the roads here in Maine seem to have a dust clouds the size of major weather systems surrounding all the construction going on. (I cannot walk three feet without tripping over a freaking roadcone in Waterville right now)

Looks like I'm gonna want to take apart my switch housings, and give them a decent cleaning. Any cleaners you guys recommend? Any cleaning products should I avoid like a lot lizard runs from a State Trooper?

lol I just want to make certain to do a decent job, and not use anything that might be bad for electrical components.

I fixed a sticky signal switch simply by spraying in some WD 40, using the spray wand. No need to take the switch apart.
Most likely, any switch that has detentes or springs could benefit from an occasional spray, to prevent them from sticking.
But when a switch fails due to internal corrosion of the brass or copper contact points - that would certainly warrant a complete dis assembly.
Cheers!

I fixed a sticky signal switch simply by spraying in some WD 40, using the spray wand. No need to take the switch apart.
Most likely, any switch that has detentes or springs could benefit from an occasional spray, to prevent them from sticking.
But when a switch fails due to internal corrosion of the brass or copper contact points - that would certainly warrant a complete dis assembly.
Cheers!

+1 to WD-40. I buy that stuff by the gallon. Die electric grease after cleaning will preserve the contacts for a long time.
CRC, marine grade is even better. I've washed up with the stuff when on the road and no facility available. I think it lubes my finger joints well too.

Boeshield T-9 can also be used to free up a sticky switch; use like WD40. Boeshield penetrates, dissolves minor corrosion and leaves a protective coating of dry wax so it won't collect dirt and debis.

I shoot it with PB Blaster. +1 to the dielectric grease if you do dis assemble.

I think it lubes my finger joints well too.

Funny you should say that. About 25 years ago I had an older neighbor that had bad arthritis in his hands and joints. He used WD-40 and claimed it helped tremendously with the pain and flexibility. Seems like a chemical like that could cause problems with prolonged use though... :confused2:

Ok, cleaned the Tartaros out of them switches. They seem to be doin better now, though I am wondering if maybe I might need a new right hand switch housing in the near future. It almost seems that the start button spring is getting a bit weak.

Latest posts

Back