Cleaning Up Loose Ends Around The Carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
I'm finally pretty satisfied that my carb adjustments are about as close as I can make them. Since there are no covers for the Air / Fuel Screw Holes, I wanted to do something to seal them against moisture entering or Fuel / Air leaking.

I keep everything that is left over from any job so I have a garage of "Stuff" to choose from. I found some very small outside diameter Hose. It slipped right into the hole with no resistance. I cut some lengths so that it would stick out slightly when fully inserted. I tried a couple screw sizes inside the hose to get just the right expansion so that once the plug is inserted it will stay in place. The best I could do was just a tiny bit tighter than I wanted so I used a touch of Marine Grease on the outside of the hose. This will stop possible corrosion in the opening and add to the seal while still allowing the plug to be removed without resorting to pliers.
Note: I recommend using Brass or Stainless Screws, just because they will look good longer.

The drain hoses that come out the side under the carbs have always bothered me. They kinda flap in the breeze and can move in and out. I always worry about them getting pushed in and out of the retainer. I took some Red Zip Ties and made hose retainers, not too tight, not too loose.

You can also note that I use red paint on the sync screws. I've done this in the past with other bikes and it's kept the carbs in sync for longer periods...

Attachments

• FA Screw Plugs.jpg
    FA Screw Plugs.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Hoses Held, AF Plugs, Sync Screw Paint.jpg
    Hoses Held, AF Plugs, Sync Screw Paint.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 351
Like what ya did with the drain hoses Dave. Nice and neat. I used some store bought black plugs on the screw holes but like this better. Looks great.
Steve

clever. very clever. i used black zip ties on my drain tubes...red's too much for me ;-). thanks for the great idea.
thumbs-up.gif

I read somewhere to plug the A/F mixture holes with 1/4 poly plugs, but you have come up with a better solution to keep water/moisture out and a way to remove the plug easily. Thanks for the post Spec.:clapping:

Latest posts

Back