Clear scoop inserts?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImCannibal

Reaction score
Does anybody on here know who to ask about getting some scoops inserts made out of 1/4" lexan? I want to turn my scoops into turn signals by using frosted lexan like a fiber optic with led strips in the scoops. I know I remember seeing a thread on it a while ago but the forum search sucks if I'm using my phone.

Take your scoop inserts to a glass dealer that also works with lexan. It should be easy for them to cut some out of some scraps they have. Have them make a couple sets so you can do different colors/ designs.

Take your scoop inserts to a glass dealer that also works with lexan. It should be easy for them to cut some out of some scraps they have. Have them make a couple sets so you can do different colors/ designs.

That's not a bad idea, except I live in a small city and I think that might cost me a pretty penny at a local shop. I'm make some calls though.

I might try this out myself. If I could get a sheet of lexan, I could easily cut and shape a piece to fit, and then, all I would need is appropriate LED's to fit inside

As I have posted before, going to a local sign shop, you can probably ask for some scraps and they'll likely accommodate you, bring a scoop so they can see what you want to do. When you cut that stuff, use a fine-blade saw blade and a slow speed, and support it well or it will crack. A scroll saw is good for something like this. Jig saws usually only have 1 or 2 speeds, and don't offer the control you need. If the plastic doesn't have the protective paper on it (possible if you got some scraps from a sign shop), use contact paper to protect it while you cut it, and then peel-off the contact paper.

I cut this stuff frequently to make patterns for a copy lathe to duplicate spindles and newels.

I use a bandsaw to rough out the patterns then a hand held coping saw to get close to the details. Then flat, triangle and half round files to to smooth out the saw marks and fine finish the profile.

Is it possible that making solid plates for both sides could mess with the thermostat side? That one's vented and the electronics one is solid from the factory.

I totally want to do this, too, BTW.

I had a buddy make me some new ones last year with the CNC. I had plexiglass mirrored ones that were showing some age. They didn't clean up to well any more.. I like my new ones.. Most people will not..lol

Attachments

• scoop insert.jpg
    scoop insert.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 73
Is it possible that making solid plates for both sides could mess with the thermostat side? That one's vented and the electronics one is solid from the factory.

I totally want to do this, too, BTW.
If I did something like this I'd cut slits in that side to allow some airflow like the OEM part has.

I don't think anything underneath gets that hot that you "need" the ventilation. I would be more concerned about rain getting in. But where as the scoops are not sealed up to the bike, rain water can get inside from the top, so, either way, it would seem to be a non-issue.

Back