Clicking sound under carbs when key is on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawman504

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sure this is a frequently asked question and if it is, im sorry i couldnt find it. I did search with no results. Anyway. I turned the key on today and heard a clicking sound. Clicked about 5 times, pqused for about 15 seconds and repeats. Even when the bike is running it does this. Ive only rode it 150 miles since i got it but i havent heard this till today. Any help?

Ok, so just after posting this, i did find it in the frequently asked questions. Lol. It says its "topping off the bowls" because of either a bad fuel pump or leaking line. How do i tell which it is? Have seen or smelled no gas any anywhere.

EVERY bike clicks for a bit before you start it. I would worry if its doing it while the bike is going done the road, or if the bike is running, and you turn it off, and then turn it back on, and it still clicks a lot more...a couple of clicks is nothing to worry about IMHO. Mine does it just how I have described to you, and has been great for the last 2 years.

so, one2dmax is a resident guru. in that thread, he thinks the fuel pump is wearing out. i'd venture a guess that yours is in the same condition

After reading it. I found a cracked piece of tubing. Now wiyh that being said, i am no motorcycle mechanic and dont know what it goes to. It looks like it runs from the air filter housing pretty much straight down into "???". Lol. I know a pic would help but im at work now.

it might deceptively be the fuel line that comes out between the carb rack and air box. the only tube that connects to the air box is a tube that runs in the crankcase breather housing to provide PCV--if any fluid runs through this tube would be mists of oil (normally speaking)

Ok. So not related to the fuel pump. Hmmm....thanks for all of your help friend. I'll check all of my fuel lines and if that aint it, then work on getting a new fuel pump.

Before you replace that fuel pump, you might want to peruse this thread: http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8775&highlight=fuel+pump+diaphram

It shows great detail, including pictures of removing your pump, disassembly of it, and inspection of its insides. There's two small rubber diaphrams inside (one-way valves), either of which can become dislodged, making it hard for your pump to maintain proper fuel pressure. If that is happening, it could explain why your pump is running extra hard, and it is a common problem with our Maxes. Usually an easy fix as well.

Ok, great. Now it seams to not be doing it. Very wierd. For the past 2 days (starting the bike 10 times or so) the pump seems to be operating normally. In fact i havent heard the clicking sound at all. Not one single time. Just a small whine of the pump running at the initial key turn.

The whine is the servo. The clicking is the pump and is normal. You can hear it on most EFI bikes as well since they tend to have more audible fuel pumps.

The clicking is a totally normal part of operation. Even while riding. The only time it's of some concern is when you're having stuttering and stumbling indicating a fuel supply problem, or the pump is running pretty well constantly.

I notice it more in low rpms at low speeds as well - such as when tooling around parking lots. Not sure why that causes the pump to come on more frequently, it's quite possible just that I don't have traffic, engine, and wind noise in my ears so I'm just noticing it more often in those conditions.

Yes it is alorio. Thats exactly it. Glad to know it is a normal sound. Abnormal sounds cost money. Lol. Thanks to everybody for your help. This forum is full of awesome people with great knowledge. Glad to be here.

Worst case scenario you need a fuel pump. They are a dime a dozen ( Well, $79.00 bucks or so) but pretty reasonable used. Get as new a one as possible obviously (2007 model year). The fix is very easy and I would say anyone but the most timid of owners or anyone that insists on smoking while wrenching on the fuel system should avoid.
Peace of mind and knowing your bike better are the benefits. Ninjaneer, you rock dude. But I think you already knew that!

Latest posts

Back