Clip-on bars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpclynch

Reaction score
I bought a set of clip-on bars for Max. 43mm clamp, 22mm bar with a 10 degree slope
e55cddf0b3c747e6a33849c84a74bdc2

Getting them onto the forks was irratating. Support and lift the bike, drop the stanchions, try work out why they don't drop far enough, unbolt the splitter for the front brakes, disconnect the speedo, drop another inch, line up the clamps, slowly lift the stanchions back up, clamp them when they're in place, grab the bike just before it falls off the stand and there we have it - step 1 complete

If the drag bars are lower than stock then the clip-ons are MUCH lower and MUCH further forward

IMAG1414b.jpg

Step 2 was to move all the controls over and try keep the cables & hoses behind the lights tidy - I replaced a few of the old bolts as I was working
IMAG1419b.jpg

Next step was to set the bars in postition so they wouldn't hit the scoops at full lock and they were both at the same height/angle

This picture shows just how much further away the controls will be
IMAG1433b.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

And here she is... low and clean
IMAG1431b.jpg

I was going to try out a few other configurations, like putting the clamps above the triple tree - this would raise the bars about 2-3 inches and might allow a sharper pull back angle but I didn't like the looks and the position was very close to the drag bars I have (I'd have to slide the stanchions up another inch too)
or swap the bars around and go for a 10 degree lift but the V position felt like it would become uncomfortable quickly
something else I thought of was to cut my drag bars in two and use the bend in them to customise the position I want

I'll ride around like this for a few weeks and maybe I'll try something different with them after a while

I've been actively waiting for your post since I saw the picture of those in the "What did you do to your vmax today" thread. Looks killer! Please let us know how it works out long term.

Hey what throttle are you using? I'm looking to get rid of my clunky stock one.

The throttle is stock as far as I can remember, only difference are the grips and braided lines
01687-VMAX-SITO.jpg

Hey what throttle are you using? I'm looking to get rid of my clunky stock one.

My goal will be to score the throttle and switch assemblies from an R1/6 cira 06 or so. (right before they went fly-by-wire) They are much more compact, and the throttle housing is separate from the right hand switch housing, allowing you to rotate it to a much better angle. I'll have to mount a separate switch for the reserve somewhere, but that's not an issue really.

John, I guess your right, from the second picture it looked narrower then stock but in another picture I can see it better.

Dash, what years are you talking about, got pictures/let me know how that turns out!

John...your bike looks INCREDIBLE!

I've gotta ask, who makes that killer license plate mount? I love it! I'd like to get one for myself. Let me know, okay?

Thanks, and kudos on a great-looking bike!

Elimax

The reg holder is a dirt grabber with a flexible reg rivited to it, I got it from exactrep a few years back - not sure if they still stock them

now that my computer is on, I think I'll go look at bar end mirrors

Latest posts

Back