clutch 1/2 plate

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellyear

Reaction score
should i get rid of it and add another diaphragm ? as the max is sliping when i power on at 100 + mph carnt have that
:rocket bike:

I got rid of the 1/2 plate (disc). Had the steels cleaned, Got a clutch kit from PCW, which had new friction discs, heavier clutch spring, new gaskets. No slipping at any speed. Drag racing included:punk:

http://www.pcwracing.net/

I think Tom and Lee just changed the fibers cleaned up the steels and installed a pcw spring. I dont think they changed the 1/2 plate and both bikes hook up good. But i can tell for sure if you change out 1/2 plate or slipper set up is what it is called and replace fibers clean up steels and put two stock springs in it will hook up the best. I tested all of them in a row and the dd set up is the best for hook up and drag racing. you can feel it in the seat of your pants over the pcw. I put about 14000 to 15000 miles on my dd set up and never had any problems. Trust me i dident baby the bike. I ran 33 times in a row at dragstrip in one day and had no trouble. I weighed 265 lbs in gear and ran 11.71 two times. But the dd will give you a little harder clutch pull but i was ok with it like i said 14000 to 15000 miles. This is how to do a dd set up. pcw is the same for the most part.

http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html

My 94 slipped on the Dyno years ago and only showed 101 HP. 2 up, a hard roll on
from 50-60 and slippage was horrible. Kyle and I measured the steels and the friction discs, found them well within spec, Got rid of the 1/2 disc, cleaned the steels and did nothing else. Been 3 years now and not a sign of slippage even with 2 up and I ride hard. Wife loves to go very fast....

So, it seems I'm experiencing slippage as well. I've got new steels and frictions, kept the 1/2 friction and replaced the stock spring with a Barnett. Can I replace the 1/2 friction with a full one and possibly get better results?

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Did you align the marks correctly? I would add the full friction disc but that alone shouldn't make a difference in your issue.

had slipage in my 83 venture till i got ride of the 1/2 plate there onley there to proteck the novice rider from well spin /well stand so yes geet rid of the slipy cluch 1/2 plate

Have replaced the half plate but can't say if it reduced the slipping as the other frictions were replaced at the same time.

What was noticeable was additional clutch noise at idle and when changing gear goes in with more of a thump.

Neither are an issue though.

Firemedic, yes I made sure all the alignment marks were aligned up. I must have read and retread the posts about all the issues with that. I recently replaced the slave cylinder due to rust and pitting on the piston that seemed to cause binding when engaged. It helped to get rid of most of my problems but I still can roll on the throttle in second and it will immediately jump about 2000 rpms before I feel the power at the wheels. My next bit of work will be to disassemble the clutch again to make sure the steels didn't get blued when the clutch was slipping before.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Latest posts

Back