clutch basket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmax

Reaction score
has anyone had problems with the clutch basket going awol?
what is the side clearance supposed to be as mine seems to move 10mm

pete

I had the clutch basket explode on my 88 right after I first bought it.That wasn't a cheap repair and I even did it myself.
One good thing though, Yamaha didn't offer the same part number for the basket as in 88.Supposedly it was a redesighned part.
Mine sheared all of the fingers off that hold the discs. Shawn

shawn kloker said:
I had the clutch basket explode on my 88 right after I first bought it.That wasn't a cheap repair and I even did it myself.
One good thing though, Yamaha didn't offer the same part number for the basket as in 88.Supposedly it was a redesighned part.
Mine sheared all of the fingers off that hold the discs. Shawn

Was there any sign something was going wrong before it exploded? Mine has a thumping sound that goes away when I pull in the clutch. A few on the list guessed it might be the clutch basket.

Buster Hymen said:
Was there any sign something was going wrong before it exploded? Mine has a thumping sound that goes away when I pull in the clutch. A few on the list guessed it might be the clutch basket.

Buster,Mine just went as I was going down the road.It quit pulling like the clutch was in.Coasted to a stop,thank god none of the pieces went into anything to lock it up.I only had the bike a week or two when this happened but it rode normally to that point.No strange noises.

is the clutch basket bearing pressure fed? on mine i may have to get an engineering company to make a new bush for it, as in uk they cost over 250quid plus tax

pete

ratmax said:
is the clutch basket bearing pressure fed? on mine i may have to get an engineering company to make a new bush for it, as in uk they cost over 250quid plus tax

pete
That doesn't sound right for a bushing,The whole basket maybe.

that is for the whole basket,it has a phoshur bronze bush in the center seems to wear out,hopefully i can get a new bush machined to go in.

ratmax said:
that is for the whole basket,it has a phoshur bronze bush in the center seems to wear out,hopefully i can get a new bush machined to go in.

I see no reason why you can't get a new bushing put in the basket. BUT, make sure they make similar oiling groves in the bronze when it's in (you may be able to do it before installation).

Sean Morley

Back