clutch clunk after swapping half disk

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBjork

Reaction score
Hello,

I just removed the clutch retaining wire, half disk, and the related spacer and clutch boss spring. I added a full disk and took time to reinstall everything the right way. All plates are facing the same way etc.

I now have a clunk when I shift from neutral to first. I can only compare it to way a dirt bike tends to clunk when you drop the bike from neutral and into first gear.

Is this normal?

Hello,

I just removed the clutch retaining wire, half disk, and the related spacer and clutch boss spring. I added a full disk and took time to reinstall everything the right way. All plates are facing the same way etc.

I now have a clunk when I shift from neutral to first. I can only compare it to way a dirt bike tends to clunk when you drop the bike from neutral and into first gear.

Is this normal?
No offence but you might check it again.

I happend to me all the time, i think i've assemble something good and its noFway that i'got mistaken...but when i diassemble it again well, something might to be not ok :D

Also v-max clutches are noisy, especialy primary driven gear. Its happen couse clutch basket had to much clearance on the main axle.

Also you might check that the pressure plate is instaled properly.
The side swaped plates may be a reason too.

Somethimes people install washer nr 2 in the wrong place.
And the nut 18 is instaled only one way.

If its all ok and in the right place then i have no idea...

CLUTCH.Gif

Mine has done that since new. As long as it doesn't pull the engine down when you drop it into first it's completely normal.

Well. I checked it again just because I have made mistakes in the past (with women not machines). It all looked fine. This sounds really stupid.... I think theat it sounded loud because I didn't have my helmet on. I never really paid much attention to the engagement of first gear until after I did the clutch and think I was half expecting a problem.

What a difference putting in the full size disk made. Clutch slip is so subtle that I never realised how much power was NOT getting to the pavement.

hahaha... Yeah I like to test my bikes with out a helmet and it makes you hear EVERYTHING!

Glad you're good to go.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum...
Chris

Just double checking, but you can replace the half-disk with a full one and leave all the other components stock (i.e. the clutch spring, boss, retaining wire) right?

Yep. I have mine that way. It engages smoother I think as compared to the full DD mod bike I have tried.

Latest posts

Back