Clutch discs soaking tool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing the clutch, and was looking for the right place to soak the clutch discs in.

So, heres what I found. Everyone has seen the tortilla warmers at walmart? They are just a couple of bucks and plastic. They are also the perfect size for clutch discs, and that way you are only using half to 3/4 a quart of oil. Plus you have a lid, to keep dust, bugs, etc....out, so that way you can reuse the oil for the next oil change...which you should probably do after the clutch change out anyways.

Attachments

• 20150805_133634[1].jpg
    20150805_133634[1].jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20150805_133656[1].jpg
    20150805_133656[1].jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 28
A corn or flour tortilla in the used oil may taste pretty good after warming it up!

That reminds me of a story...
one of my now-deceased fire/rescue co-workers, like me, used to attend U-Miami football games in the Orange Bowl (now gone, the Hurricanes play in the Miami Dolphins stadium). The Orange Bowl was located in Little Havana, a part of Miami where the Cubans came en-masse to live back in the early 1960's. Today there are many other nationalities there as well, hispanic mostly, you're likely to find Spanish spoken when you walk into a store there by the clerk and customers.

So, one of the fun things about going to the games was finding a place to park. The homeowners in the area around the Orange Bowl would stand out in the street, and wave signs that displayed what they woud charge you to park there, typically $10-20 depending on proximity to the orange Bowl. being cheap, I used to park at a municipal lot south of the Miami River, and walk a few blocks to the game. Along the way, all sorts of street vendors would be selling their food items, and it was usually 'priced to sell.' Carry a couple of beers in your pockets, walk to the stadium, buy some food along the way, drink the beers before going thru the turnstiles, and you were set for at least a quarter of play.

So, my friend stopped at one vendor who had shishkebobs (sp?) and he bought one, and it was delicious! It had that 'backyard' cookout flavor of a charcoal grilled meat. He got in the habit of stopping at the same vendor for the games, and was always impressed w/that authentic flavor.

One day, he happened to be there a bit earlier than usual. The vendor had just gotten set-up. He began to prepare to cook. He already had the sticks filled w/meat and veggies. He had the fire going, and then he picked up a couple of skewers, dipped them into a tray of clear liquid, and threw them onto the grille, where they immediately exploded into flame. After about a minute, the flames had died-down, he removed them from the fire and set them aside. It was then that my friend noticed what was the clear fluid in the pan he was dipping the skewers into-lighter fluid! No wonder they flamed so well, and had that 'backyard flavor!'

My friend was a Marine, he was from Brooklyn, and was a gifted storyteller. I worked w/him for probably 17 years before I retired, and we were friends away from work. As a firefighter/paramedic, he was a hard worker. He was debating going in for a cardiac catheterization where he probably would have gotten some stents placed in his coronary arteries, when he had 'the Big One.' It killed him. He'd had another heart attack previously, but this was what they refer to as the 'Widowmaker.'

he was a physical fitness fanatic. He wore out both hips running, got replacements, and took up cycling instead, and was facing eventual replacement of both prostheses (artificial hips) when he began to have cardiac issues. He retired from the fire dept. and when he was at home all the time, his wife decided she didn't like that, so they got divorced after probably 30+ years of marriage and two adult children. They sided w/her in the breakup, and the issues were never resolved between them and him before he died. That's sad.

At his funeral, one of our mutual friends who just himself retired as a chief from Palm Beach County Fire/Rescue, got up and spoke about his and my friend. He berated the widow and the children for not making more of an effort to have a positive relationship w/their father/husband, and cited all the sacrifices he had made as the main breadwinner to put them through school, and to provide them w/a good home. The daughter took offense, and tried to punch him as he left the pulpit, because the crowd was mostly friends of the widow's, apart from those of us in the fire service. It almost turned into a melee! Fortunately, he exited the chapel and kept going to his car and split, while the daughter of the deceased was restrained from trying to follow him to the parking lot to 'discuss things.'

Ira, he was a character, and a good friend. As far as his wife and kids went, I guess he 'burned his clutch discs' trying to deal with them at the end of his life. He just couldn't get traction to re-establish cordial relations, though I guessed he would be perfectly happy to let the -ex slide on by, if he could regain the love of his children.

A corn or flour tortilla in the used oil may taste pretty good after warming it up!

That reminds me of a story...
one of my now-deceased fire/rescue co-workers, like me, used to attend U-Miami football games in the Orange Bowl (now gone, the Hurricanes play in the Miami Dolphins stadium). The Orange Bowl was located in Little Havana, a part of Miami where the Cubans came en-masse to live back in the early 1960's. Today there are many other nationalities there as well, hispanic mostly, you're likely to find Spanish spoken when you walk into a store there by the clerk and customers.

So, one of the fun things about going to the games was finding a place to park. The homeowners in the area around the Orange Bowl would stand out in the street, and wave signs that displayed what they woud charge you to park there, typically $10-20 depending on proximity to the orange Bowl. being cheap, I used to park at a municipal lot south of the Miami River, and walk a few blocks to the game. Along the way, all sorts of street vendors would be selling their food items, and it was usually 'priced to sell.' Carry a couple of beers in your pockets, walk to the stadium, buy some food along the way, drink the beers before going thru the turnstiles, and you were set for at least a quarter of play.

So, my friend stopped at one vendor who had shishkebobs (sp?) and he bought one, and it was delicious! It had that 'backyard' cookout flavor of a charcoal grilled meat. He got in the habit of stopping at the same vendor for the games, and was always impressed w/that authentic flavor.

One day, he happened to be there a bit earlier than usual. The vendor had just gotten set-up. He began to prepare to cook. He already had the sticks filled w/meat and veggies. He had the fire going, and then he picked up a couple of skewers, dipped them into a tray of clear liquid, and threw them onto the grille, where they immediately exploded into flame. After about a minute, the flames had died-down, he removed them from the fire and set them aside. It was then that my friend noticed what was the clear fluid in the pan he was dipping the skewers into-lighter fluid! No wonder they flamed so well, and had that 'backyard flavor!'

My friend was a Marine, he was from Brooklyn, and was a gifted storyteller. I worked w/him for probably 17 years before I retired, and we were friends away from work. As a firefighter/paramedic, he was a hard worker. He was debating going in for a cardiac catheterization where he probably would have gotten some stents placed in his coronary arteries, when he had 'the Big One.' It killed him. He'd had another heart attack previously, but this was what they refer to as the 'Widowmaker.'

he was a physical fitness fanatic. He wore out both hips running, got replacements, and took up cycling instead, and was facing eventual replacement of both prostheses (artificial hips) when he began to have cardiac issues. He retired from the fire dept. and when he was at home all the time, his wife decided she didn't like that, so they got divorced after probably 30+ years of marriage and two adult children. They sided w/her in the breakup, and the issues were never resolved between them and him before he died. That's sad.

At his funeral, one of our mutual friends who just himself retired as a chief from Palm Beach County Fire/Rescue, got up and spoke about his and my friend. He berated the widow and the children for not making more of an effort to have a positive relationship w/their father/husband, and cited all the sacrifices he had made as the main breadwinner to put them through school, and to provide them w/a good home. The daughter took offense, and tried to punch him as he left the pulpit, because the crowd was mostly friends of the widow's, apart from those of us in the fire service. It almost turned into a melee! Fortunately, he exited the chapel and kept going to his car and split, while the daughter of the deceased was restrained from trying to follow him to the parking lot to 'discuss things.'

Ira, he was a character, and a good friend. As far as his wife and kids went, I guess he 'burned his clutch discs' trying to deal with them at the end of his life. He just couldn't get traction to re-establish cordial relations, though I guessed he would be perfectly happy to let the -ex slide on by, if he could regain the love of his children.
That's was a good post. I could almost see him. This reminds me of a conversation that I had with Steve about Joe. Even as much of a Vax fanatic as he was.....he had never been to a vmax rally. Like I told Steve....I didn't want to be like that. I want to make every rally that I can.....and meet in person all of the people that I can....because in the end....you just never really know....

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

So the plastic doesn't react with the oil?
Some plastic items I've tried using with petroleum products
will get soft or sticky and want to turn back into oil.
Doesn't contaminate the oil?

So the plastic doesn't react with the oil?
Some plastic items I've tried using with petroleum products
will get soft or sticky and want to turn back into oil.
Doesn't contaminate the oil?
Mine didn't

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back