Clutch fluid leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whaven

Reaction score
So my bike has been leaving drips in the shop for a week or so, i recently over filled the coolant so i figured it was over flow from that, well i get on the buke today and the clutch is squishy as hell so i pull off the reservoir cover and it’s dead empty, so I fill it up and bleed the system and clean up the drips on the floor and pump the clutch some and sure enough I see drips forming on the floor, so I look under the bike and most of the back underneath of the engine is covered in fluid and I have zero clue where it is all leaking from, just trying to get an idea of where it’s leaking

I would park it till it got fixed. If its on the bottom of the motor, chances are its hitting the tire which could be a slippery situation

I would park it till it got fixed. If its on the bottom of the motor, chances are its hitting the tire which could be a slippery situation
Yeah that’s something I was concerned about and the reason I haven’t been riding it

I wrote a detailed slave cylinder removal/replacement how-to, lots of pics & tips. It may save you heartache, time, & money to read it.

A "reverse-bleed" of the slave cylinder will take less time, and will be easier, directions in the thread.

I wrote a detailed slave cylinder removal/replacement how-to, lots of pics & tips. It may save you heartache, time, & money to read it.
Sounds good to me, where can I find that? I checked your profile and couldn’t find it

Probably want to get to it soon. My PO neglected it and all the paint is stripped off the bottom of my engine.

He sold it to a dealer who put in new slave seals, but didn't polish the bore. It still leaked.

Someone also changed the fluid to Dot 5, which is like silicone oil, probably to save the paint..

I was a mess to clean up. That DOT 5 is insoluble by anything.

As I mentioned in my thread, the replacement slave cyl isn't very expensive, I'd suggest replacing the unit with a NOS/OEM Yamaha slave cyl. Sure you can re-build it, but things like master cyl's and slave cyl's, I usually just replace 'em instead of do a rebuild. You can clean-up the bore to see what's the shape it's come to-be-in, and buy a rebuild kit, if it's not too-bad, but I think the best thing to-do is to replace it. Keep the core, cleaned-up if you want, and see if you need it. Maybe trade it for a bucket of sparks to use on your next electrical repair job.

As I mentioned in my thread, the replacement slave cyl isn't very expensive, I'd suggest replacing the unit with a NOS/OEM Yamaha slave cyl. Sure you can re-build it, but things like master cyl's and slave cyl's, I usually just replace 'em instead of do a rebuild. You can clean-up the bore to see what's the shape it's come to-be-in, and buy a rebuild kit, if it's not too-bad, but I think the best thing to-do is to replace it. Keep the core, cleaned-up if you want, and see if you need it. Maybe trade it for a bucket of sparks to use on your next electrical repair job.
I think that’s the route I’m gonna go, I mean hell the bike is 34 years old, I could use some new parts. Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back