Clutch friction point

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimps

Reaction score
Where is the clutch friction point on your bike? For example, does your bike's clutch start to grab and move the bike around 1/4 to 1/2 released, away from the handlebar? Or is it more like 3/4 to almost fully released away from the handlebars?

I have been chasing an issue (?) on my 2000 V Max, where the clutch friction point is 3/4 to almost all the way out, away from the handlebars. So I will put the bike in gear and begin to let the clutch lever out, and it doesn't start grabbing/moving the bike until its about 3/4 or more out, away from the handlebars (almost fully released). I have replaced just about everything in the hydraulic clutch system with brand new parts, but still am having late engagement from the lever. So I am trying to find out from everyone is this is typical/normal behavior or not.

I am not sure what else it could be as I have checked/replaced just about everything but I would like to hear anyone's opinions on this.

What had been replaced?
Has the clutch plates been replaced?
Has it always been like this, if not, what was changed?
Is original clutch master fitted? (it's not been unknown for yamaha xjr1300 master to be fitted to match the brake master when fitting blue spot front brake callipers)?
Had the clutch push rod in the master been modified, fitted correctly and complete?

To answer your question, if you divide the clutch lever travel in two, I'm pretty sure mine starts to engage in the half nearest to the lever.

Thats normal on mine since the day one. I do have full engagement of the clutch when the lever is released but the friction zone starts about 1/2 way out on the lever. I just call it plenty of pedal and I know my system is making pressure as soon as I take up the play in the lever.

Interesting thread. My 09 the clutch is probably the last 1" of lever travel. This is my first Hydraulic clutch bike so figured that was common.

I'd like to know what other Gen2 bikes clutchs are like.

Gen 2 here and mine is about 3/4 out. I can 2 finger the clutch and get a good release. Wish I could adjust it . All my other bikes are much closer.

I'm waiting to see what other Gen2 guys say.. Sounds like yours is about where mine is.. It is nice to be able to give it a short pull to shift ..

Where is the clutch friction point on your bike? For example, does your bike's clutch start to grab and move the bike around 1/4 to 1/2 released, away from the handlebar? Or is it more like 3/4 to almost fully released away from the handlebars?

I have been chasing an issue (?) on my 2000 V Max, where the clutch friction point is 3/4 to almost all the way out, away from the handlebars. So I will put the bike in gear and begin to let the clutch lever out, and it doesn't start grabbing/moving the bike until its about 3/4 or more out, away from the handlebars (almost fully released). I have replaced just about everything in the hydraulic clutch system with brand new parts, but still am having late engagement from the lever. So I am trying to find out from everyone is this is typical/normal behavior or not.

I am not sure what else it could be as I have checked/replaced just about everything but I would like to hear anyone's opinions on this.

I think 1/4 to 1/2 is fair. If it feels firm when pulling/releasing s/b fine. Can check condition of fluid in reservoir (s/b clear, not gold or brown) and maybe bleed for a few cycles to ensure no bubbles. Going to stainless line will also help.

Mark

I replaced the following parts:
New OE master cylinder
New OE slave cylinder
New stainless steel line
New OE clutch pipe
New OE clutch fiber discs

And of course new fluid. I did the double D mod as well. Still engaging late, usually 3/4 to all the way out. I am at a loss.

Double D does impact that IMO. The dual springs make it more work for the fluid to release the pressure plate and between the frictions and plates. That can be changed with different masters and line diameters. I guess I do agree with Mr. Max....if you like the firmness level of the DD and it doesn't feel squishy spongy, get some adjustable levers. They are pretty reasonable in price.

I think DD does not affect lever travel at all, it cant. Only stiffer lever to pull. If it had any affect on lever travel, it would need more fluid, more travel from lever and clutch friction point would be more on the bottom. At least I didn't notice any difference in travel (gen 2). What I did notice was that clutch is/was more on/off due greater grip and increased lever stiffness, it is harder to control clutch slippage. Just needs some time to learn it, I dont notice it anymore. No clutch slip either :)

I think DD does not affect lever travel at all, it cant. Only stiffer lever to pull. If it had any affect on lever travel, it would need more fluid, more travel from lever and clutch friction point would be more on the bottom. At least I didn't notice any difference in travel (gen 2). What I did notice was that clutch is/was more on/off due greater grip and increased lever stiffness, it is harder to control clutch slippage. Just needs some time to learn it, I dont notice it anymore. No clutch slip either :)
In my opinion the above would be correct. :)

Allot of travel usually means the hydraulics are worn or needs new fluid as there is now air present. It only takes a couple of years for the fluid to start to degrade slightly.

Less travel means you have a tip top system, and allows faster gear changes. :)

On my 03 I replaced the clutch plates adding a full one I place of the half and the steels,also added a EBC spring. Did a complete fluid flush and fill. In the end my clutch still let's out at the end..got me scratching my head. I wanted a 1/4 to 1/2 engagement.

A worn clutch won’t impact lever engagement. Could be your master, slave and/or the line itself.
Oh I guess I I have a weekend project to do sometime this winter. I'm pretty sure I'll just replace all three.

Latest posts

Back