Clutch issue after Barnett spring upgrade + new clutch plates and friction discs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leamdown

Reaction score
Hi all. As the title states, I'm having issues with my new clutch components on my Wildstar XV1600 year 2000. I'm aware that this is not a VMAX bike, but they share similar clutch components and workings so wondered if some of you wouldn't mind helping me out if you're in a position to do so? I'm aware I may recieve some abuse for posting here, but I wouldn't if I wasn't desperate.

I've changed the stock spring and pressure plate out for the Barnett spring conversion kit (part number 511-90-10002) which is the same one for the VMAX bikes too (torqued to 5.5 ft. Lbs.). I've also changed the clutch plates (8) and friction discs (9) as the old ones were shot (I've put them in with the two indentations on the friction plates to the two dots on the clutch housing as stated for 1999 - 2003 models). I've followed the clymer manual to the letter and followed a video tutorial but the clutch lever won't spring back once I've engaged it. The clutch lifter lever (with spring attached) doesn't spring back properly after pulling the clutch lever, which leaves the clutch lever on the handlebars flapping in the wind with no tension, even though I've spent over an hour trying to adjust the tension on the clutch cable (which was brand new less than a year ago). I've adjusted the cable to within tolerances in the book and have had the case off to double check my work and everything is exactly how it is in the video and the spring torqued to correct settings, but I must've missed something as it's not working. I'm hoping someone else has had a similar issue, but managed to resolve it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've attached pictures of the instructions included with the kit and also two pictures of the clutch install just before I torqued the springs.

Attachments

• 20210327_133500.jpg
    20210327_133500.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210327_133504.jpg
    20210327_133504.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210327_194452.jpg
    20210327_194452.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 23
Well, the clutch pack may be the same, but the Vmax utilizes a hydraulic mechanism as opposed to cable actuated.

Sounds to me like something on the business end (down by the basket) is amiss. I'd start there by retracing steps and closely scrutinizing any documented procedure you may be referencing. I'd also pay particular attention to the illustrations as sometimes subtle mis-assembly steps can be one's undoing.

If I had to guess, I'd wonder if you have the pushrod /"mushroom cap" (or whatever lifting apparatus is employed) positioned correctly.

Well, the clutch pack may be the same, but the Vmax utilizes a hydraulic mechanism as opposed to cable actuated.

Sounds to me like something on the business end (down by the basket) is amiss. I'd start there by retracing steps and closely scrutinizing any documented procedure you may be referencing. I'd also pay particular attention to the illustrations as sometimes subtle mis-assembly steps can be one's undoing.

If I had to guess, I'd wonder if you have the pushrod /"mushroom cap" (or whatever lifting apparatus is employed) positioned correctly.
Thanks for the reply. I've had it out once, but as something is amiss I have pretty much accepted that I'll have to open her back up again.

I wondered whether the springs in the new pressure plate are too tight, as the bolts have bottomed out on the clutch boss bolt holes. Could this cause the issue?

I think opening it back up is a given. Going forward, my guess is that you will verify proper operation before bolting the cover back on...

(For the record, I have been in the same boat).

Yeah I have accepted that 😭 I will certainly be doing that this time for sure. I've ordered a new clutch cable and I'm going to try the OEM clutch spring assy to see whether the issue lies with the Barnett or not, as I've now read that some of these don't fit onto the clutch boss teeth correctly and need to be returned for a replacement. I will update the fix when (optimistic) I find the issue as it may help someone here in the future.

If the clutch worked OK before you put the Barnett in then it won't be the cable or the clutch housing.
Not sure what you mean by 'the springs in the new pressure plate are too tight'; unless the springs are binding then I don't see that as an issue.

It has been suggested that you remove the cover but I suspect that if you do that you won't be able to operate the clutch and watch it operating?

To establish if it is an issue with the the Barnett pressure plate of the clutch pack I would re-assemble with the old pressure plate and new clutch pack.

If it still sticks then it is something in the way they have been inserted - do all the plates slide in and out of the clutch housing OK and is the housing free of any notches?
If it then works OK you will know that it is the problem lies with the Barnett.

Assuming it is the pressure plate then a call to their Service Centre may be in order.

I like your Sportster horn.

Max Midnight is correct, the clutch cover needs to be in-place for the clutch disengagement (or not) to function (or not). As-suggested, swapping the OEM diaphragm spring and pressure plate (#24, here: 2000 Yamaha ROAD STAR (XV1600AM) Clutch | Ron Ayers ) back-in with the friction disc and steelies from the new kit, probably will reveal what you need to know, to proceed.

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for responding. Apologies for the late reply - I've been waiting for new parts to arrive and I've just had a chance to fit them.

I have fit an uprated EBC diaphragm spring and the clutch is working like a dream now, so I can only assume there was an issue with the Barnett as I removed it and refit it numerous times and it always seemed to slot in perfectly.

Perhaps there was an issue with the spring part of the Barnett?

It's fixed now, but annoying that I couldn't find the issues with the Barnett. I appreciate all of the responses from everyone! Thanks!

Hi all, thanks for responding. Apologies for the late reply - I've been waiting for new parts to arrive and I've just had a chance to fit them.

I have fit an uprated EBC diaphragm spring and the clutch is working like a dream now, so I can only assume there was an issue with the Barnett as I removed it and refit it numerous times and it always seemed to slot in perfectly.

Perhaps there was an issue with the spring part of the Barnett?

It's fixed now, but annoying that I couldn't find the issues with the Barnett. I appreciate all of the responses from everyone! Thanks!
Sounds like a design issue, where it fits the clutch, but the specs are different. Glad it's sorted.

Latest posts

Back