Clutch Issue, please help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithjs35

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clutch stopped working on my 2000 Carbon with 13k miles, installed new servo and master, bled system. Clutch now feels great. But when I put it in gear it stalls. It did sit for three weeks while waiting on parts. Any ideas ? Bike ran well before clutch went bad, no slippage at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Servo?
You did not do anything with the clutch plates or have that apart?
Is your sidestand down when testing?

Servo?
You did not do anything with the clutch plates or have that apart?
Is your sidestand down when testing?

Thanks so much for understanding people and motorcycles. I have been wondering what I could have done wrong by just part changing. I did get into a hurry and sat on the seat to see if it worked but forgot the simplest thing. I owe you big time Sean. Thanks for the kickstand reminder.

You did not do anyting wrong you were checking the safety interlock switch on your kickstand when the bike goes into gear

Thanks Fire-medic for lessening the shame of it all. When Sean asked about the side stand, it clicked. So happy to be able to ride again. Thanks to Sean, Fire-medic and all the forum members who really help with their knowledge even if its common sense.

I remember buying Kaw. Nomad with frozen clutch plates. 3 hours work(?), bike 💪 value went up 1k.

Sometimes a 'fresh pair of eyes' is needed to consider possibilities. My wife, an electrical engineer who practiced for 41 years, has helped me out in that way many times. I always am sure to thank her for allowing things to be solved instead of struggling-along with less than satisfactory results, or an additional expenditure of labor and/or $.

Sometimes a 'fresh pair of eyes' is needed to consider possibilities. My wife, an electrical engineer who practiced for 41 years, has helped me out in that way many times. I always am sure to thank her for allowing things to be solved instead of struggling-along with less than satisfactory results, or an additional expenditure of labor and/or $.
My ex was electrical engineer too. Kind of... I spent 3 hours, diagnosing shorted wires in Jeep. It turned out my ex was helping me to remove visor and cut off wires, shorting them...

Clutch stopped working on my 2000 Carbon with 13k miles, installed new servo and master, bled system. Clutch now feels great. But when I put it in gear it stalls. It did sit for three weeks while waiting on parts. Any ideas ? Bike ran well before clutch went bad, no slippage at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Smith, I put some forward controls on my 2007, so I had it apart for a few weeks. I suffered the exact same symptoms as you did. Opposite of the normal problem. My clutch wasn't slipping, but rather, stalling the bike. I went so far as to bleed, and take the clutch apart. I looked here on the site, and found your post. I'll be damned, the exact same issue. I guess it had been long enough since I rode, that I lost the habit of lifting the kick stand. Admittedly, I have not ridden in years, and am just getting this bike ready. But thank you for the post, and for those that answered. I'm going to remember to check this site first, before tearing my bike apart!!!

My dad would always say to me, use common sense and start from the easiest to the hardest checks. But the kickstand was just too many thoughts at once and the result is clouded judgement or being in a hurry. It will get you every time.
Mine wouldn't start after a winter lay-up, the seat was off and just about to dive into the electrics when Mr Moron remembered the bike had an immobiliser...

Latest posts

Back