Clutch lever only goes in halfway

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marauder03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was flexing on a new vette on the highway the other day and shifted up and down from third a few times aggressively and when I got off at my exit I noticed that the clutch lever was only letting me pull it it about halfway. I went home and bled it, when I took the cap off the reservoir the fluid looked like motor oil, this is a 2012 with 17k miles. I cleaned out the reservoir as best as possible and bled it a few times to try and get clean fluid through it which it appeared to be pretty clear but I’m still having the same issue. Half clutch lever, I’ve been told to reverse bleed it but I’m not positive how to do this without getting brake fluid all over the painted parts which I do not want to do. Anyone have a good procedure for said procedure? I’m hoping something is just clogging the system and I’ll be able to flush it and it’s not something worse. Thanks.

It may have something to do with the slipper clutch. I’m not positive. I had something similar happen to me. I was practicing launching back to back and I noticed the clutch lever not coming all the way back like before. I thought I screwed something up, but after I rode normal for a few minutes it seemed to clear up. I’m assuming that the slipper clutch had something to do with it. Anybody else know if this makes sense?

I'm not a Gen. 2 guy, but when the brake fluid looks opaque and 'thick,' I'd suspect some bit of crud in the master cyl is obstructing the smaller of two holes in the floor of it.

You said you emptied the master cyl several times, I assume you mean that you did a traditional bleed at the calipers, where the master cyl required re-filling several times. As long as you have clear fluid at the calipers, upon bleeding, I'd think that chances are you've likely removed any sediment of a consistency to block the master cyl small hole. That not being clear can cause poor lever travel.

Doesn't the bike have ABS? I don't know about trying the reverse-bleed with that.

Last edited:
According to the Service Manual there is nothing special you need to do when bleeding the clutch.
If you are concerned about spilling fluid then cover painted parts with cling film.

If bleeding doesn't fix the problem, then next step would be to inspect the slave cylinder and see if you can get more lever movement with it off the bike.
Do this carefully and ideally with a drip tray underneath as it may be possible to pop the piston out (?).
NB: Yoy will need to push the piston back in as this is normally done by the clutch spring. N very B: Only pull the lever once as pulling iy a second time without pushing the piston back in will probably pop the piston.

If that is OK then you will need to inspect the clutch.

Thank you guys for the replies, it does have abs. I’m going to try bleeding it again before inspecting the slave cylinder. This is the first bike I’ve had with a slipper clutch and I need to do some research about it, not sure if it has anything to do with it but I added the extra spring when I got it gurued. I appreciate your guys input, thank you.

Latest posts

Back