clutch master cylinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16790

Reaction score
I have just purchased an XJR1300 clutch master cylinder to replace my standard Vmax item, I am only doing this to make it match the equivalent brake master cylinder I've just fitted, I like things to match :D
wiring is not my strong point and I wondered if any body else has fitted the XJR clutch master cylinder and if so what did you do about the clutch switch connection, the standard item has two push on connections where as the XJR item has a block connector fitting that has three wire connection points inside it,
could I get some small crimp on connectors for my wires and push them into the little block connector, if so does anyone know which two connections I should use :)

I have used the XJR m/c and originally used a couple of spade connectors.
On the XJR switch one pin will be earth, another the switch is normally closed the other the switch is normally open. You will need the earth and the one that is normally open.

An alternative would be to use a hydraulic banjo brake switch which can be placed either at the m/c or if you want (IMO) a neater job at the slave end.

Last edited:
I may have the connector and pins available if you have the three plug switch on that side (one side has that and the other has the spade connections)

thanks for the replies, initially I will try to get some small spade connectors as I want to get it fitted soon, is there a way of running the bike without the switch connected ?

um, can I enquire what this switch actually does as maybe I do not truly understand its role, I was thinking about it and realised I always start the bike in neutral, I thought it cut the engine if the bike was put in gear with the side stand down,
I need to understand its operation so I can know if I've connected the two wires to the correct terminals in the XJR switch (I have some small female spade connectors now) thank you

ok I've been out fitting the new cylinder but before I took the old one off I disconnected the wires and as Sean said it only starts in neutral, a safety thing I guess :)
now I just have to fit the wires to which ever pins give me the same result :cool:

The clutch switch is only there to allow the bike to start with it in gear (and the sidestand up). BUT, with the bike already running the sidestand switch in conjunction with the neutral light circuit control the kill function if you try and put in gear and the sidestand is down.

thanks Sean, I have it all sorted now (hopefully), just waiting for a weather opportunity to test ride it now

Latest posts

Back