Clutch or Starter Clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde Porter IV

Reaction score
So I have an 07 Vmax 1200 ( Gen 1) of course, At 35,000 miles couple days ago shifted to neutral at a Long light. Released Clutch lever at typical release point the left side of motor behind fly wheel cover. Had a noise and a feel of Circular rotation/spinning well couple days after that noise I slowly got a vibration that went from tickling my feet to Jesus Christ I might park the things my hands have got to carpal tunnel. But the bike seems to not miss a beat. All plugs look great a little red from the Locus fuel additive but other wise I couldn’t want better.01A2740B-A069-4B4C-88F1-DC49709155FD.jpeg01A2740B-A069-4B4C-88F1-DC49709155FD.jpeg

So I have an 07 Vmax 1200 ( Gen 1) of course, At 35,000 miles couple days ago shifted to neutral at a Long light. Released Clutch lever at typical release point the left side of motor behind fly wheel cover. Had a noise and a feel of Circular rotation/spinning well couple days after that noise I slowly got a vibration that went from tickling my feet to Jesus Christ I might park the things my hands have got to carpal tunnel. But the bike seems to not miss a beat. All plugs look great a little red from the Locus fuel additive but other wise I couldn’t want better.View attachment 82983View attachment 82983
That's when mine went out 30k starter clutch

Any change in how a bike runs or feels is its way of trying to tell you it has a problem. Ignore the warning at your peril.
We can all guess at what the problem is but you will need to do some dismantling to find the cause.

If this happens with the engine running then and the bike starts normally then it's unlikely to be the starter clutch.
Unless the clutch pack is starting to break up then that would normally give slipping i.e. revs will rise but no increase in forward motion.

A vibration suggests something has or is about to break the problem being knowing where to look. No easy answer I'm afraid, you will need to start inspecting the motor and drive train.

A stethoscope would help localize where the noise is really coming from, even a nice long screwdriver with your ear to the handle would work and go from there

Back