Clutch problem, nothing new rite?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
Well Sean is right, not a fan of Barnett kits either. Compared to the OEM, its thinner and the metal plates are smooth. OEM is thicker and the metal plates are dimpled. But still having problems finding neutral, and the shifting now, is somewhat notchy. I plan on going back to the old OEM plates etc and see if it improves in finding neutral and if the notchy feeling subsides. The basket looks good, lines are bled to no end, no leaks, the only other difference, and a big mistake on my dumbass is installing some Chinese junk knockoffs for brake and clutch handle/reservoirs. Im going back to OEM. The only way to find netural now is to shut off the bike, it clicks right in. Mang!!

Finally! fixed my clutch crap issue. Installed all new OEM plates, OEM master cylinder, new secondary master cylinder. Bled the lines one more time, shifts like brand new, finding neutral is perfect. all is well. now, I gotta synch the carbs, adjust the air mixture screw, I tell ya, 13 yr old bikes can be a pain. Gonna toss the battery and go for the Shorai Lithium Battery LFX18L1-BS12 . Now I'll probably have battery issues and then have to go back to OEM!!

Last edited:
Finally! fixed my clutch crap issue. Installed all new OEM plates, OEM master cylinder, new secondary master cylinder. Bled the lines one more time, shifts like brand new, finding neutral is perfect. all is well. now, I gotta synch the carbs, adjust the air mixture screw, I tell ya, 13 yr old bikes can be a pain. Gonna toss the battery and go for the Shorai Lithium Battery LFX18L1-BS12 . Now I'll probably have battery issues and then have to go back to OEM!!
Recommend you go with the big battery mod. There is an article somewhere on this site about putting in a Goldwing-sized battery. I did it and it is awesome. Just have to remove the stock battery plastic holder. I built a shelf for the battery to sit on and it fits snug enough I didn't need straps or tie downs. Spins the starter real fast and I don't have to worry about slow cranking hot starts anymore. That was the second weak link for my Vmax. The first is 2nd gear which is almost gone.

I have a Shorai battery and never had any issues. Glad you got your clutch issues resolved.

Recommend you go with the big battery mod. There is an article somewhere on this site about putting in a Goldwing-sized battery. I did it and it is awesome. Just have to remove the stock battery plastic holder. I built a shelf for the battery to sit on and it fits snug enough I didn't need straps or tie downs. Spins the starter real fast and I don't have to worry about slow cranking hot starts anymore. That was the second weak link for my Vmax. The first is 2nd gear which is almost gone.
Sean Morley had a great write up on it. Vmax Battery replacement 101

I've run the cheapest battery that Batteries Plus makes. They run 60 dollars and last 4 to 5 years. I've never had an issue.

Steve O and I switched to the Shorai 5 years ago and I’d never go back. You save 12 to 15 lbs and they crank our bikes over with enthusiasm. Plus their smaller size leaves room for other things like .....nitrous solenoids

Steve O and I switched to the Shorai 5 years ago and I’d never go back. You save 12 to 15 lbs and they crank our bikes over with enthusiasm. Plus their smaller size leaves room for other things like .....nitrous solenoids
Like these? But, the battery space isn't being used for it... .

VMax NOS 1500 cc.jpg

VMax NOS.jpg

The Shorai battery is the best I ever bought. It cranks the engine well, weighs like 3.3 lbs, and has proven durable. I killed it a few times leaving the key on, charged it right back up and had no issues.

Latest posts

Back