Clutch question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chug4life

Reaction score
When I shift into first from a level surface she wants to lurch forward, don't get me wrong I kinda like it, simular to blower surge i guess lol but not knowing all the quirks of my bike is there something wrong?

When’s the last time you changed/bled your clutch fluid?

No I haven't bled the system 2003 36,000km so maybe I will start there and see what happens
Fluid should be clear if good. Most likely, it's darker yellow or brown and probably due. I replace the fluid in my brakes and clutch every 1-2 years. If that doesn't help, look for bulges in the line....SS lines definitely help. Otherwise, I'd say a check of the clutch slave cylinder is next on the list.

Mark

Fluid should be clear if good. Most likely, it's darker yellow or brown and probably due. I replace the fluid in my brakes and clutch every 1-2 years. If that doesn't help, look for bulges in the line....SS lines definitely help. Otherwise, I'd say a check of the clutch slave cylinder is next on the list.

Mark
Fluid is clear, lines are good, no leaks,

Aftermarket friction discs can do that, do you know what's in-there?

When you pull the lever, how-much travel before you encounter resistance? As a % of distance for the ball-end to travel to the handlebar, at what % would you say it goes before the clutch releases? Is it almost to the handlebar?

Aftermarket friction discs can do that, do you know what's in-there?

When you pull the lever, how-much travel before you encounter resistance? As a % of distance for the ball-end to travel to the handlebar, at what % would you say it goes before the clutch releases? Is it almost to the handlebar?
The travel feels good, not spongy etc its just that one time lurch forward when going into first. Doesn't do it any other shift

It's actually not that much different a pull from a fully bled clutch to one that needs it.

Bleed it. That'll knock it right out.

An internally-bleeding clutch piston develops a longer pull before the clutch releases, and the same for an obvious externally-leaking clutch. Like the one where you find brake fluid dripping off the clutch or front brake lever ball-end. In a case of low fluid, or no reservoir fluid, it may not release completely, or at-all. Fluid in the handlebar reservoirs should be at a minimum, half-full. The line for a minimum brake fluid level on the sight glass window is a bit-lower than that, but through experience I've found halfway is a minimum. I once had a Kawasaki LTD with its buckhorm handlebars, that to be able to get the clutch master cylinder filled properly, you had to use the centerstand, and then put the handlebars onto the right-side stop, to allow you to fill the reservoir.

A VMax has a hydraulic slave cyl for clutch operation, and if that leaks, you will find some brake fluid spotting the ground underneath the area of the operator's left foot peg, on your garage floor. I recommend the reverse-bleed to quickly and easily bleed your clutch and brake systems. I used a Mity Vac for many years, before I began doing the reverse-bleed. Now the Mity Vac sits, forlorn and lonely. Here is info on the slave cyl and how to inexpensively fabricate a tool for doing the reverse-bleed, from an implement from your local supermarket, and a couple of items from the auto parts store. (80) brake bleeder syringe to make | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(80) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

An internally-bleeding clutch piston develops a longer pull before the clutch releases, and the same for an obvious externally-leaking clutch. Like the one where you find brake fluid dripping off the clutch or front brake lever ball-end. In a case of low fluid, or no reservoir fluid, it may not release completely, or at-all. Fluid in the handlebar reservoirs should be at a minimum, half-full. The line for a minimum brake fluid level on the sight glass window is a bit-lower than that, but through experience I've found halfway is a minimum. I once had a Kawasaki LTD with its buckhorm handlebars, that to be able to get the clutch master cylinder filled properly, you had to use the centerstand, and then put the handlebars onto the right-side stop, to allow you to fill the reservoir.

A VMax has a hydraulic slave cyl for clutch operation, and if that leaks, you will find some brake fluid spotting the ground underneath the area of the operator's left foot peg, on your garage floor. I recommend the reverse-bleed to quickly and easily bleed your clutch and brake systems. I used a Mity Vac for many years, before I began doing the reverse-bleed. Now the Mity Vac sits, forlorn and lonely. Here is info on the slave cyl and how to inexpensively fabricate a tool for doing the reverse-bleed, from an implement from your local supermarket, and a couple of items from the auto parts store. (80) brake bleeder syringe to make | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(80) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)
I will take a video of what its doing, im confident its just me not knowing all the querks of a Vmax yet as there are zero leaks anywhere and no performance issues. Bleeding sounds like it will fix it

Latest posts

Back