Clutch rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK3333

2000 VMX1200M
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of installing the upgraded clutch with 8 full discs and the HD spring along with HD oil kit and need some direction.
1. Does EVERYTHING go back the same as it came out except for the 1/2 disc which is now a full one? OR
It states in another thread that parts #4,5,6 do NOT go back, is this true? I understand that the plate seat(#5) and spring cushion (#6) ride inside the half disc (#7) so deleting them makes sense. So if they are gone, the ring set( #4) is no longer needed. Correct?
2. The metal clutch plates have a "rounded" egde on one side and a sharper "squared" off edge on the other. Taking the old ones off, the rounded edge was facing "in" on all except the one against the "half" disc. Is there a recommended way for these to go?
So, anyone want to help me getter right the first time?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190211-132441_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190211-132441_Samsung Internet.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 22
Leave out # 4 (+5, 6, & 7)
It doesn't matter which way the discs go back just have them all the same i.e. sharp or round all facing the same way.
One other point to note is aligning the plates with the clutch housing as per the Service Manual (3-68 refers)

Thanks for the reply. As far a aligning the discs, you are referring to the "notches" on the discs in relation to the "tits" on the basket, correct. I took lots of pics along the way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190212-063824_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190212-063824_Gallery.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks Max & Sean. Clutch done, working good. Shifts like butter. Easier to find neutral. Only issue was threads on one the cover bolts during disassembly. Looked like the factory didnt tap threads deep enough and they stripped them out. I couldnt get that bolt to grab. Had to get a tap and longer bolt. With patience and care was able to tap threads deeper and make a bolt the exact right lenght to grab and torque to spec. No leaks.

Latest posts

Back