Clutch slave problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm replacing oil seals on clutch slave cylinder. Rebuild kit came with oil seal for clutch push-rod.
Although old was fine I thought I'd replace it.
Trying to get old one out I started trying to put homemade prong behind seal to pull it out, then tried drilling hole for self tapping screw to pull it out. All this has done is mangle up steel part of seal.
Anyone had similar problems, is there a better way to do this?
What happens immediately behind seal? It looks like there's a steel washer between seal and alloy crankcase

Any ideas appreciated

Attachments

• v-max1.jpg
    v-max1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 40
  • v-max2.jpg
    v-max2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 37
You may need to get into the edge of the part and "cave" it towards the center.

Most people I know, use a strong-shank screwdriver, lay it across the body, and stick the blade inside the hole of the seal, and advance it as-far as you can, towards the opposite side of the seal, and then lever down on the screwdriver to pop the seal out. I cannot see why there would be a big deal to perform this unless someone epoxied or superglued-into place the seal. Seals are installed dry, relying on an 'interference' fit to stay in-place.

There is a curved-metal fulcrum tool used to 'pull' seals, mine has two different radiuses ('radii'?) cut into the part which does the work, but you don't need that, a screwdriver should suffice. Given the small diameter of the seal, it should be a very-easy 'pull-out,' unless someone glued it in. Even then, the seal's so-small, it shouldn't present any big resistance to removal.

Either Sean's idea or radioguylogs' ideas should work. I have a slide hammer that I would fabricate a small L-shaped lever for, to accomplish this, if nothing else works.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies.
I'm going to make some long tool with edge to get behind seal and hopefully pull seal out. Fortunately I'm in no rush right now to use bike.
Problem is the near inaccessibility of seal.

Success. Kitchen forks should be part of any decent tool kit.

Attachments

• vm.jpg
    vm.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 35
Back