Clutch slipping

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax9040

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

Bought beautiful 2012 vmax Friday , super happy but after some time driving it , I finally open it up and notice clutch slipping ..

have a friend with a 2009 40k miles and same issue , then my other friend with a 2019 says his bike has no slippage whatsoever, I guess it needs a new clutch , hopefully dealer will chip in ... any comments will be greatly appreciated .

regards

This is fairly common, especially after people have the reflash done of the ECU, more commonly known as the Nash Flash. I bought my 2011 2 years ago, and the clutch was just starting to slip. When i bought the bike, there was another diaphragm spring and retainer included with the sale. I installed those.....which is also called the DD mod (first made famous on the Gen 1's). NO CLUTCH slip......even after having the ECU reflashed, even with dynoing several times.

Yep DD mod for sure. I had 4,500 miles on my 18 and after the flash it went to slipping. I did the same in my gen 1.... And then snapped a shaft lol. All in the name of fun, lol. $30 and I was motoring again.

Appreciate your fast replies , so there shouldn’t be a need for a new clutch ? Bike has 14,800 miles , would the Yamaha dealer be able to do the DD mod ?
Thanks a lot !
Feel better now

Depends on how much it was slipped in those 14,800 miles. Everybody rides differently. I'm thinking of changing my clutch, just because it slipped allot after the flash.... Enough to notice a difference in the lever from stop to stop lol. I eased it home, and did the DD mod, it's doesn't slip, but it doesn't grab until the very end of the lever travel.... Makes for some quick shifts.... But I don't like it. There is almost virtually no slipping to get going, so taking off takes a little finesse.... It's almost like a button clutch in a big truck. It's either on or off, real pita. My advice, do the DD, give it some time so you adjust to the difference in the lever stiffness and see how it feels.

Appreciate your fast replies , so there shouldn’t be a need for a new clutch ? Bike has 14,800 miles , would the Yamaha dealer be able to do the DD mod ?
Thanks a lot !
Feel better now
I had 40K on mine. I dont think 15K is an issue. Yes the dealer would be able to do it.....BUT, you might have to talk them thru it.....or even into it. One of the reasons why this forum is so successful, is that we ALL love our bikes. The dealer only sells them. They are also a unicorn.....everyone knows that they exist, but they dont ever see them, so they probably dont have a lot of experience.

I did mine in the driveway in 30 mins or so. I just put the bike on the sidestand and did it. If you want to, WE can walk you thru it.

It takes longer to scrape the old gasket material off then it does to add the retainer and second spring lol.

It takes longer to scrape the old gasket material off then it does to add the retainer and second spring lol.

True.... I actually had my clutch opened twice without replacing the gasket.
If it doesn't tear you can slap it back together with the original gasket.

Thanks guys , amazing info here ... where do I get these parts for the DD mod ?
I will just order them , I am hoping dealer will change clutch , then i will do the DD mod 100 %

thanks guys , this is great help

Thanks guys , amazing info here ... where do I get these parts for the DD mod ?
I will just order them , I am hoping dealer will change clutch , then i will do the DD mod 100 %

thanks guys , this is great help

Gurued gear sells it all in a kit. Clutch spring, retainer, updated bolts, gasket.

I had 40K on mine. I dont think 15K is an issue. Yes the dealer would be able to do it.....BUT, you might have to talk them thru it.....or even into it. One of the reasons why this forum is so successful, is that we ALL love our bikes. The dealer only sells them. They are also a unicorn.....everyone knows that they exist, but they dont ever see them, so they probably dont have a lot of experience.

I did mine in the driveway in 30 mins or so. I just put the bike on the sidestand and did it. If you want to, WE can walk you thru it.

Unicorn indeed....I had intentions of riding the dragon today, but fell into a group of bikes going there same direction, and not wanting to be disrespectful I stopped with them to do the whole intro thing. And ended up riding with the whole day, kinda nice though slow paced ride through the mountains, instead of my usual peg dragging pace lol.... But every stop everybody had questions about it. One guy thought I was joking about the third gear burnout....I didn't demonstrate, brand new tire and at $250 a pop they get expensive after about three of them lol. But he did believe me, his face kinda lost all expression lol. But I did meet some nice people, they let me tag along, I kept my inner child at Bay.... Kinda lol. No burnouts, no triple digit speeds.... The occasional rip in 2nd gear to hear the VooDoos blat lol.... Forgot where I was going with this..... Oh yeah unicorn lol. Yeah only a few knew kinda what it was, but they didn't really know what it was lol. Mixture of bikes, Harley's mostly, a kawaii, Vstar 1100, Honda f6b that actually wasn't bad looking in Black. Makes me want to go out and get the eluder.... But I thought the max was expensive golly.... Sorry about the rambling. Since 09 I have seen 1 gen 2 in the wild about 8 years ago. Ain't seen one since.

I would not worry with changing the clutch at 14K, get the parts and do the DD mod. Your slipping will most likely disappear completely, if not then change the fibers..

When you have it apart, check the rivets in the clutch boss and the back pressure plate. Lose clutch boss rivets will just make noise but the pressure plate rivets being lose will cause you to loose preload on the clutch and can cause slip like it did for me.

Hi everyone,

going back to dealership tomorrow with bike to sort this out , sure we will get to an agreement... it’s a very reputable place ... keep everyone posted
Thanks for the videos

Wonder if there is a video somewhere of the DD mod on Gen2 , I did find 1 for Gen1 , would that be similar ?

It is the exact same, except on the gen 1 you dont need a deeper retainer, and on the Gen 2 you will. Ive met him in person. Brian is a great guy. Very knowledgeable.

Back