Clutch sound 2009 Vmax 1700

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello;-)
In February this year I pick up a 2009 Vmax from Netherland and import it to Norway.
Bike had 2200km and still on tire from end of 2008 deliver from factory.
I like this bike, but I hate the clutch on it.
1: When start bike in neutral with clutch lever pulled in, then release clutch lever, everything is ok, but if I pull clutch lever in and release it again, there is a sound from gearbox.
I read this is a common problem with Vmax 1 & 2 generation.
What is making this sound and is it possible to fix it?

2: When I set it in 1. gear, there is a click sound.
I feel click sound is better and nearly gone if I move bike at same time I set it in 1. gear.
When drive, I feel it is more click sound than I like. When shifting up it is not so bad, but when shifting down it is worse.
Clutch fluid was very dark and is changed and there is not air in system.
I feel it is better after change clutch fluid, but still not ok.

I was a happy owner of an 1986 Suzuki Madura 1200ccm in 27 year before I change to this Vmax.
I drive it last weekend and Madura is much more smooth when shifting then my Vmax.
Madura has 49000km.

I read somewhere that clutch is like a tractor on Vmax, but is it something I can do to get a smoother ride?

I have the same sound as this bike when set in 1. gear. Check time 0:30

I have the same sound from clutch/gear as this bike. You can hear it when he change gear.

Is this normal?

Last edited:
I have same year Vmax and same mileage.
I experienced exactly the same issue as yours which my local dealer told me that it is normal.

Thank you so much for your information.
I talk to my dealer today and they also told me it is normal.
I dont like it, but if it is this way it is made and there is not possible do make it better, I have to live with it;-)
If a DD, or a Barnett clutch will help I will do it;-)

Back