Quantcast

Clutch Sticking

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

chris08170817

Reaction score
Hi

I went to ride my 2004 vmax the other day. I pulled in the clutch lever kicked it in gear and it stalled seemed like the clutch not disengaging. I rebuilt the master cylinder reverse bled it. It seemed like it was better but still same result bike stalls. I don't ride it much would have been the first time out this year bike only has 6500 miles on it. I was wondering if maybe the clutch was just stuck or what might be the problem it was fine when I rode it last year but like I said it hasn't been rode in about 8 months just started engine only

sdt354

Reaction score
I've had the disk stick before, after long lay ups. I put the front tire up against a tree and let the clutch out a few times. It eventually frees up. As long as the master and slave are operating normal.

Fire-medic

Reaction score
I haven't had that type of problem on a VMax but I have had it on other bikes. Some oils are more-susceptible to this and some clutches are more-susceptible to it (apparently the friction compound). I had an H1 Mach III into-which I installed a Barnett clutch, and overnight, it would lock-up. I just got in the habit of starting the bike, holding the front brake full-on, and releasing the clutch, which would release the plates, and it would operate normally after that. That is, until the next morning.

The against a tree or a wall method should do the trick. You just need to have the plates freed-up so oil can circulate among the friction disc/'steelies' stack.

Parminio

Reaction score
PSA: If you're in your garage and go against the wall, make sure you're on a stud. Don't ask me how I know that.

chris08170817

Reaction score
Thanx Guys Okay should i go for second gear against the tree , because as soon as I kick the bike into first with the clutch handle pulled in it stalls

Fire-medic

Reaction score
Save the trees!

Do the 'immovable object' technique against a wall. Preferably a CBS (masonry) wall. I can see someone not-perfectly lined-up against a tree, the tire slips sideways, and they end-up on the ground, w/the bike on-top of 'em.

The picture of the wheel/tire through the gypsum board is a graphic one! Don't be 'that guy!'

Motorcycle vs. building.png

sdt354

Reaction score
Thanx Guys Okay should i go for second gear against the tree , because as soon as I kick the bike into first with the clutch handle pulled in it stalls
It will stall a few times until the disk break free. I'm not suggesting pop the clutch at 5k. And the breaks are our friend too.

TheFleshRocket

Reaction score
My '99 VFR has a sticky clutch--overnight, it'll lock up and the next morning, the bike will stall when I click it into gear. (I installed new frictions and steels not long after getting the bike, but then it sat for several years while I was working on R&Ring second gear due to rounded gear engagement dogs.) If I pump the clutch about 10 times before first engaging it on a cold start, the bike will usually try to jump forward a little bit when I click the shifter into first gear, but it won't stall.

RempageR1

Reaction score
Does the bike jump forward before it stalls? If not, you might want to check you side stand switch.....

Latest posts