Clymers??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I've heard several people mention the Clymer's manual versus the Yamaha one.

I have never looked at one.

Is it better?, More do-it-yourself friendly or has better pictures and better verbage explaining stuff.

I know the factory manual can be pretty uninformative to the garage mechanic that doesn't do this stuff for a living.

wfcall said:
I've heard several people mention the Clymer's manual versus the Yamaha one.

I have never looked at one.

Is it better?, More do-it-yourself friendly or has better pictures and better verbage explaining stuff.

I know the factory manual can be pretty uninformative to the garage mechanic that doesn't do this stuff for a living.
Rusty,
I've got a clymer...its ok...I suppose the chiltons is about the same.
Both probably leave some things out or are incorrect (back axle bolt torque)
Randy
btw....watch on ebay....I got mine for like 20.00 plus shipping.
I like it....helps me.

Last edited:
I never have looked at the Yamaha manual, but I have a Clymers for both my V-Star and the Max. I like the Clymers. I had my V-star down to frame and engine last winter and managed to get her all buttoned back up in good order with the Clymers. Think I will recheck the torque on that rear axle nut, though.

Last edited:
I bought my Clymer from this guy on ebay

art_of_sound

I bought it for 2.25$ with 6.00$ shipping LOL. 8.25$ for the whole thing. Took a week to get it from postal shipping but still was a heck of a deal. I like the Clymer it has alot of info. Good book.

I have the Yamaha Manual and I tried to use it this past weekend to look at the tach wires and confirm which ones were which. It didn't help much, the only thing I could find in the Yamaha manual for the tach was in the complete wiring schematic. It did the trick though, after tracing the lines back to the other components.
Shift light works Great!
I have a Clymers on my to do list, just because I'm anul and like to have every little thing I can.
Today I just got the 3 Vol. GM service manaul for my 99 Silverado. And it is awesome. Tells you how to troubleshoot and diagnose everything from drive line vibrations to light bulb replacements. 80 Bucks an hour labor... my ass!

Back