cnc program

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnjacob53

Reaction score
Hello (Im a Newby)
I have been working in the thermoforming plastic industry for a long time, Im a toolmaker with some CNC experance and what I have done with my other bike is made Lowering links, and Bar risers (for my zx11) I did have a coworker help me who has programing experance. I made some End caps for a Dale walker exhaust when I went to a 2 inch Baffle they look cool as hell, Left one said Old Buzzard-- rt side said Still breathing. any way I see some dress up items on e-bay that are kinda neet but I would like to make them and NOT buy them I have scrap materal that we send out for scrap that alot of time I could buy cheap and make something for myself.
Can someone help me with files I can load up to make covers for the side oft the Max? Clutch, Stator, water pump and others or If I have a JPEG image can you help me with a conversion that is compatible with a CNC machine.

Thanks
Johnjacob53

Firstable you need to draw them in one of CAD files then you need to generate
a G-code by using one of CAM programs.
Since its my day job I can generate the basic X Y cordinates from 2D dxf or dwg file in a "moment". Everything else that will require "hand g-coding" or drawning - sorry I dont have time for this.

I know few system like HASS, Fanuc or Siemens so I can help with specific machine functions a "little".

The best way of doing this is to have a point cloud made of the part you want to create. This can be done either with a 3D laser scanner or a CMM machine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate-measuring_machine

Either of these will generate a set of XYZ points that can then be brought into a 3D CAD system to generate a solid model.

To do this by hand and adding each model feature one at a time require measuring the part and imputing this data into the model. Some features are very difficult to accurately reproduce this way due to difficulty getting precise measurements though. For example a sweeping curve is almost impossible to measure by hand to determine radii, blend points & axis. The benefit of doing it by hand though is the CAD model is more easily modifiable if the designer wishes to alter it. When inputting one feature at a time into the model, it is then easier to revise the overall model by going back to a particular rib, hole, protrusion in the model and altering them. The point cloud method does not give this ability, but does give a better overall accurate model.

Accurately reproducing something like a stator cover profile where it meets the case would be a challenge. For this, the cover could be copied with a normal copy machine unit that can output a JPEG image. That image could then be imported into the CAD package and scaled to the correct size using monument points from the physical cover. This would then give the exact profile & screw locations. From this profile the rest of the model could be developed.

Doing any of this from a picture would be impossible. For one, there is no way to determine accurate screw hole locations from a picture.

Gary

I agree - dimenssioning form jpg file sucks.
You dont need a 3D scan for that but for sure this way its faster.
I have a clutch cover dimenssioned "by hand"!

We just got some new CAD/CAM software this summer called BOBCAD that claims it will import JPEG. I've only read a little in the manual so far. I haven't messed around with it yet, but plan on playing around with it this winter. We currently use MasterCAM and I know it won't. I'm having my doubts it will generate a toolpath off a jpeg, but being able to get it on the screen would be a plus. We have only HAAS machines, a VF-2, VF-3, and a SL30. It's cool to see some machinists on here!

I think you have to vectorize the image and then you can run the part. One of our machinists has the BobCad software and many of the options. I know he can engrave from pics like that.

Sean

I have some decent CAD experience, so if there is something you really want, let me know... Time is what I don't have much of! I do have some files of rear sets that I would love to have made up sometime. Shoot me a PM and I can get you my e-mail address if interested.

Jeff

My toolmaking days are over after 20 years and a layoff in 04. We used Surfcam to draw and then generate toolpaths for our CNC machines to cut plastic injection molds. It wouldn't have been able to take accurate info from a JPEG though. Some days I still miss "slinging metal chips"!

Latest posts

Back