Coasting enricher

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
Let me describe my problem. The bike runs very well, but while I'm running down the road, and let off the throttle and coast, I start getting a loud pop, almost like a backfire. (multiple times). Once I get back on the throttle again, it goes away. I'm thinking its the coasting enricher. (It got better when I richened up the idle mixture).

Does anyone have any pics of where the enricher is, or the best ways to clear it?

Thanks

Coasting enrichener is a diaphragm, not a jet. Check the carb rebuild how to by naughty g. Pretty rare for them to go bad unless they are really old or you've been uing way too much carb cleaner.

Well the bike is an 07, and the last time that I used seafoam was in Sept, maybe early Oct. I had parked the bike for a couple of days, changed out the TCI with the ignitech, restarted the bike, and now have this problem.

I wonder if the problem could be something else? The bike did this back over the summer for about a week, and then it quit.

Could one of the screws that holds them on be loose? Is it repeatable in the garage?

Is it a carb pop or a pipe pop?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Well, I'm gonna chalk it up to bad gas.

I filled up Tuesday out of town, from a mom and pop gas station. Ran fine. Wednesday, downed the bike, and put in the ignitech unit (which is a blast BTW). Friday, buttoned everything back up, and that's when the back fire started. Early Saturday morning filled up from local gas station (E-10 Free) still had a bit of a back fire while coasting. put in 1/2 a bottle of seafoam, and got on the forum.

Just took the bike out, and went up the rode about 20 miles..to triple digit speeds, coasted while stopping and turning around. (No back fire). Got back here to the house...so back fire...and bike is running very strong.

I'm guessing bad gas, or maybe a speck of dust fell into the carbs, as I was removing the air filter box for the TCI. (I did cover them with a red rag but you never know).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, and I learned exactly what enrichers are, which is more than I knew yesterday.

Could one of the screws that holds them on be loose? Is it repeatable in the garage?

Is it a carb pop or a pipe pop?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

It was a pipe pop, only when I would roll the throttle forward, and coast to a stop, or to a low speed.

Glad it's fixed. I wish everyone's problems went away this fast. Too bad our pilot jets are so tiny. I wonder how guys with other bikes just don't seem to have this many carb-related issues.

Well I don't know when E-10 came about...but E-85 wasn't until about 05 or 06. Maybe by the time it became popular..everyone else went to fuel injection.

With the HD crowd with ONE carb (don't know the size of the jets) it might not make that much of a difference? Hell if it happened to an HD bike...the rider probably wouldn't even noticed except to say...."Man...my bike sure does sound nice and loud when I get off of the throttle."

Gasahol in the 80's wasn't really around long enough to cause problems....at least none that I remember.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back