Cobra Exhaust HP Loss Explained, Please?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would Cobra make a pipe look that badass if it decreases performance?!?!?

...sigh v2.0[/quote]

The same reason Chrsyler builds badass looking cars but they dont run worth a shit!

I have a set of Kerker slip-ons in chrome. They look and sound pretty good. I like the way the go straight back instead of pointing up like most all systems do, even stock.

I know that a lot of people aren't fans of UFO, but they do make an exhaust that looks almost identical to the Cobra's and I'm sure would sound a helluva lot better.

Has anyone ever heard of Kerker making slip-ons? I swore I saw a pair of Kerker slip-ons on eBay the other day.

While the "Quadzilla" is a slashcut, it is cut differently and I am not a fan of the look... :( I also believe you have to purchase the entire exhaust for around $1000...

A little leary of the customer service reports, as well....

Hey neighbor!

If you dig deep enough thru this forum you will read I have a "loaner" set of Cobra 4-4's up for grabs.

I live in Pocatello and I will be down in SLC on Nov 6th. in the EARLY morning to fly to Florida.

You wanna "demo" them over the winter let me know.

Plus we gotta get started on the South Idaho/ North Utah Ass kickin' Picknickin' party! (Summer 09!!!)

Ok, I'll bite... :D

1. Why aren't they on your bike?
2. Pending the answer to #1, why haven't you sold them?
3. How early on the 6th? :clapping:

I love the idea of a "demo" over the winter as I plan to do quite a bit of work on the bike while the snow flies... When are you due back from Florida?

In regards to a "local" ride, I'd love to actually SEE another VMax on the road around here (or there)... :) The first long ride I took after buying mine last spring was to Yellowstone (on the stock saddle), coincidentally. Beautiful ride. I used to have family in Pocatello and know the route from here to there quite well...

Drop a reply in here, or feel free to PM me...

\m/ DS

Ok, I'll bite... :D

1. Why aren't they on your bike?
2. Pending the answer to #1, why haven't you sold them?
3. How early on the 6th? :clapping:

I love the idea of a "demo" over the winter as I plan to do quite a bit of work on the bike while the snow flies... When are you due back from Florida?

In regards to a "local" ride, I'd love to actually SEE another VMax on the road around here (or there)... :) The first long ride I took after buying mine last spring was to Yellowstone (on the stock saddle), coincidentally. Beautiful ride. I used to have family in Pocatello and know the route from here to there quite well...

Drop a reply in here, or feel free to PM me...

\m/ DS
1. Cause I saw the light I now run an HMF 4-2 full system.
2. They are a bit not pretty, great for demo but would need to be rechromed for that newer then new look.
3. My flight leaves at 8am so I'll be at the airport at 6am. :)

There yours for the winter if ya want...........

P.S. Save up and get a set of Marks Pipes.

Yeah, cores and inlet size are pretty damn small.

I have to respectfully disagree on that:

Exhaust pipe (front) ID at muffler joint/junction: ~32mm
Don;t have a rear pipe, but looking at the Morley's pipes he cut up, the rear stock pipes are smaller

Cobra inlet ID: ~35mm (slips over) goes to 33mm all the way to the baffle
Cobra Out ID ~29mm

so it must be in the design, loss of rear pipe balancing, or both.

BTW, I have the Cobras and love them.

Last edited:
While the "Quadzilla" is a slashcut, it is cut differently and I am not a fan of the look... :( I also believe you have to purchase the entire exhaust for around $1000...

A little leary of the customer service reports, as well....

Yeah, I know a LOT of people around here aren't too keen on UFO. At first I wanted their Dragster exhaust, but now I'm thinkin I'll be going with a Kerker 4-1 system with a comp baffle....especially after watching/hearing the sound in this video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXyjjlZZVHg

You lose scavaging with the cobra's and still have the small primary tubes leading up to them. I will stick with my original statement that there is basically no gain at all (other then loss of weight) with ANY aftermarket slipon type of muffler.

Back in the day (years ago) I had a set of the cobra's and didn't have a clue what I was missing until I got the first Kerker on it!

Sean

Yeah, I know a LOT of people around here aren't too keen on UFO. At first I wanted their Dragster exhaust, but now I'm thinkin I'll be going with a Kerker 4-1 system with a comp baffle....especially after watching/hearing the sound in this video.....

Be advised you have to remove the centerstand and cut off the centerstand tabs to install the Kerker. No more centerstand ever! Also it is very loud.

Not so, we keep the tabs on any we take off and have rewelded them back on for more then one occasion. Besides, it's just extra weight!

Sean

Losing the center stand wouldn't bother me as long as I had a shorter kickstand to replace the one I have now. It's too long and the bike seems unstable to me.

Ok, here's a set of the Kerker 4-1 on ebay from dennis kirk - just need to get the 2.5" baffle - anything less than $600 would be a good deal

I have the Kerker system - have the 1.5" & 2.5" baffle - the 2.5" sounds good, but very loud and can get annoying on long rides. Now put a Scorpion can on and i think it sounds very good - as far as centerstand - don't miss it at all - never used it anyways.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270288439686

Mike

Ok, here's a set of the Kerker 4-1 on ebay from dennis kirk - just need to get the 2.5" baffle - anything less than $600 would be a good deal

I have the Kerker system - have the 1.5" & 2.5" baffle - the 2.5" sounds good, but very loud and can get annoying on long rides. Now put a Scorpion can on and i think it sounds very good - as far as centerstand - don't miss it at all - never used it anyways.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270288439686

Mike

damn...keepin my eyes on that one closely. I hope no one else here is wanting it.....HANDS OFF! lol

You lose scavaging with the cobra's and still have the small primary tubes leading up to them. I will stick with my original statement that there is basically no gain at all (other then loss of weight) with ANY aftermarket slipon type of muffler.

Back in the day (years ago) I had a set of the cobra's and didn't have a clue what I was missing until I got the first Kerker on it!

Sean

I would agree with this from personal experience. I have a set of cobras in my garage collecting dust. Save your money, especially if you are saving for a Morley rebuild. He did a motor for me that pulled over 130 hp before it was broken in. It runs like a raped ape through the entire rpm range. We put a kerker 4-1 with a carbon fiber can. In my opinion, and of the guys I ride with, the kerker sounds better.

If you dont like the sport bike look than I dont know what to tell you. All I know is the bike runs better and sounds better with a full system, just not slip ons.
Cheers:punk:

I have a Holeshot 4-1 system on mine , with a stg 7 kit,...I would like to go with the new Holeshot 4-2,..preferable with a stg 3 or Morley s stg 1,and the V boost..any feed back is welcome.
And if any one is interested in this system . I may be willing to part with it ,....every one that's heard or felt the bike tells me I'm crazy, i should leave it as is.
It is a little on the authoritative (loud),side, especial in the morning,..poor neighbors. I prefer to be stealthy on start up and in traffic,...and authoritative when I want to be .
But you can't beat that NASCAR sound...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcUxL8F6NDE

Wasn't the old Holeshot 4-1 made by Hindle? That's a great exhaust! Equal to Kerker as far as number go.

I would agree with this from personal experience. I have a set of cobras in my garage collecting dust. Save your money, especially if you are saving for a Morley rebuild. He did a motor for me that pulled over 130 hp before it was broken in. It runs like a raped ape through the entire rpm range. We put a kerker 4-1 with a carbon fiber can. In my opinion, and of the guys I ride with, the kerker sounds better.

If you dont like the sport bike look than I dont know what to tell you. All I know is the bike runs better and sounds better with a full system, just not slip ons.
Cheers:punk:

I'm starting to realize that I may have purchased my VMax more for its unique appearance and reputation than its brute force. :rofl_200:

I may change my mind over time, but my infatuation with the look of the Cobras just won't go away. As for the Morley rebuild, my goal in doing so is reliability and rideability, not blowing every bike I come across off the road. I may, again, change my mind in the future, but right now I just want to know that every time I get out on my Max that, 1: It will get me there in style and "on time" ;) , and, 2: That I will not see another bike like it on the way.

Having said that, there seem to be a number of the Cobra systems out there "gathering dust"... If folks are willing to part with them, let me know. I will be "demo-ing" a loaner set soon and may want to aquire one or more sets (if the price is right) to experiment with...

...or, I may just put them on, re-jet appropriately, and enjoy my Max in what ever way I choose to do so. :)

Speaking of re-jetting, should I be doing so if I ride @ 4000ft. with a stock set up anyway???

\m/ DS

Even if at sea level you would have to rejet to 150's. In your case I would a bigger PAJ2 in and 142.5's for the main jet.

Latest posts

Back