Cobra Pipes and jetting.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first Vmax, a '98, had Cobras with punched out baffles. They were ear-bleedingly loud. IIRC, I replaced them with stock mufflers, which I drilled five holes in each exit area for more noise. I don't recall there being a significant change in performance (improvement or otherwise) going back to the stocker. Then I lowsided the bike, and replaced the stock mufflers with some Jardine slipons, and I don't recall any noticeable performance change there, either.
I bought a 10K miles Vmax from the second owner, and he or the original owner had removed the OEM plate on each megaphone end, and then drilled a few holes on a larger diameter around the single exhaust discharge. It made things a bit-louder, but I didn't hear anything like someone had punched a rod through the inner baffle area. There was no change in jetting (I cleaned the carbs, and checked them) and VBoost behaved normally.

I do ride so I see the oil red light flicker, pretty-much every time it's started, but because of its throttle response, you don't have-to hold it open for long to see the red light, especially in the lower gears.

I've ridden two Cobra 4/4 equipped bikes for acquaintances who wanted my opinion about performance, i.e., "how's she run?" and my report was the same both times.

"Not as-good as a stocker!" I advised them to ditch the Cobras, replacing them with an OEM or another comparable to OEM performance known-quality system, and discover what a VMax was all-about, because "as-of now, you have no-idea of what it can-be." :oops::confused:😟😫

My first Vmax, a '98, had Cobras with punched out baffles. They were ear-bleedingly loud. IIRC, I replaced them with stock mufflers, which I drilled five holes in each exit area for more noise. I don't recall there being a significant change in performance (improvement or otherwise) going back to the stocker. Then I lowsided the bike, and replaced the stock mufflers with some Jardine slipons, and I don't recall any noticeable performance change there, either.
Probably because at no time did you ever have a properly tuned set of pipes on the bike. You gutted the performance of the stock mufflers by drilling holes in them and turned them into the Cobra's. The Jardine slip on pipes I have no clue about, but for only 200 bucks I doubt seriously they're tuned either.

Supertraps are the worst sounding mufflers of all time. My God, they're just awful. Beer cans stuffed with cardboard would be a step in the right direction.

Supertraps are the worst sounding mufflers of all time. My God, they're just awful. Beer cans stuffed with cardboard would be a step in the right direction.
I liked mine with competition end caps. Stock end cap was a muffled fart.

I have Supertrapps for my liter sport bike and I don't mind 'em. More discs equals more sound. I run a UFO 4 into 1 with a liter sport bike exhaust canister I adapted to it on my VMAX that is both quiet and gives me good power. I have a Dynojet stage 7 Kit and full VBoost.

Latest posts

Back