Coil removal OMG!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
The rears were easy, the front?? Wow. So, has anyone tackled the fronts? It appears the best way to get to them is to remove the radiator and the coolant cap thingy and the plastic cover. Removing the air box does nothing. I want to install the COPS, but would rather remove the redundant weight. Removing the ECU even is difficult. I'll get it eventually.

I just remove the top cover, air box, scoops, left and right heat shields. Then, remove the four bolts to the tray below the ignition unit and slide it rearward. I hated the fact that the front coils crossed sides so re-oriented them to make it easier to change plug wires.

Mark

You don't have to remove the airbox-just the scoops on each side and the plastic key surround on the right. Unbuckle the heat shield too.

The rears were easy, the front?? Wow. So, has anyone tackled the fronts? It appears the best way to get to them is to remove the radiator and the coolant cap thingy and the plastic cover. Removing the air box does nothing. I want to install the COPS, but would rather remove the redundant weight. Removing the ECU even is difficult. I'll get it eventually.
There is a thread on here showing how to get the front 2 coils out. Impact screwdriver and use the japanese JIS.

Mang!! done!! So much crap to move outta the way, the Phillips screws were loose on mine. They fit just fine, did not have to move around the clamps for the coolant hose either. What I noticed on startup? smooth idle, started quicker, its crisp. thxs again Jon

went back to look one more time to make sure I did not miss anything, well I did, damn 10mm bolts to hold the ECU tray. da-herk!! The complete OEM coil and bolts weighed in at almost a full pound.

Put COPS on a number of years ago. Left the front coils in place. They don't weigh enough to bother me.. I weigh 325 pounds, and the bike runs aong the road just fine...

Put COPS on a number of years ago. Left the front coils in place. They don't weigh enough to bother me.. I weigh 325 pounds, and the bike runs aong the road just fine...

ya I'd rather skip lunch and loose a LB much easier, but kudos to you for the effort it's biotch to remove them :punk:

When I pulled the front coils I left the cooling system intact but removed airbox, scoops and the backing behind the scoops. Two of the coil screws were easy to get to, the other two were considerably more of a PITA. I was able to remove the 10mm nuts that hold the brain and bracket in place and tilt it rearward, using a vice grip needle nose I was barely able to reach the hard screws and give them just enough of a turn to break them loose. They were finger tight after that and I was able to remove them this way.

They are fairly heavy, I had to get them out, it would bother me until I did. I thought for a fleeting moment about mounting the horns there... only for a moment.

Back