Cold start problems 1700 Vmax

Discussion in 'Forum issues, problems, bugs etc' started by Rarlord, May 24, 2020.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. May 24, 2020 #1

Rarlord

Rarlord

Rarlord

Been driving my 1700 more and more to work and have noticed after sitting a while it takes sometimes up to 2 to 3 cranks on the started button to turn her on or one extended crank on the starter in some cases. Is this normal for these bikes to do this? It’s getting kinda annoying. I’m in Tucson so the weather isn’t that cold right now. Hoping for some clues.

2. May 24, 2020 #2

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Normal.

Stay calm, and hold the button on.:)

3. May 24, 2020 #3

mavgrab302

mavgrab302

mavgrab302

I wasnt used to this either at first. Gotta hold the button a but longer.

4. May 24, 2020 #4

Rarlord

Rarlord

Rarlord

Thanks loads for the response guys. It’s always awesome to get answers from folks who know their machines. I’ll stay calm from here on in.

5. May 25, 2020 #5

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

It's one of the most common questions new owners are asking.

The VMax doesn't sound like most other bikes when starting..... definitely not like an inIine 4.

It's a big motor and it has a compression release system to allow the starter to spin it better. It may be that they had to keep the starter on the small size to get it to fit.....
    there is plenty if speculation on the reasons for the reluctant fire up, but it pretty much just training your finger to stay on the start button longer than typical that solves the issue.

6. May 25, 2020 #6

Rarlord

Rarlord

Rarlord

Thanks so much for the additional information. Makes sense, for I’ll just continue to ride her. These bikes are a definite attention getter. This forum rocks!!

7. May 25, 2020 #7

2017VMax

2017VMax

2017VMax

The other forum that is gone had some info on this. If I am remembering correctly, it was known to happen after the ecu flash. But like they said, it's normal. I have better luck giving it zero throttle when starting. It doesn't always happen. If it doesn't start on the first try I usually don't hold it tho. I let go and try again. I would be curious to know why this happens. To me it could be one of two things, no gas or no spark. And if I had to guess, it would be no gas. I would love to know if anyone has tryed to figure it out.

8. May 25, 2020 #8

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

That discussion got a little heated on the other forum. Tim doesn't do anything with that part of the ECU map. I've heard that changing batteries helps. I had mine flashed in January, and it still starts like it did from the dealer when it was new. I've got 2,000 miles or so on the flash, original battery. 2018 with just over 7k miles. It's just the characteristic of the decompression pin. My old honda trx 450r did the same thing and that was a single cylinder.

9. May 25, 2020 #9

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

You should definitely not give it any throttle when starting...... that's true with any fuel injected engine.

rebeltaz83 likes this.
  10. May 25, 2020 #10

2ndgenmax

2ndgenmax

2ndgenmax

I noticed this when I picked mine up last summer; at first I thought there was a problem but after checking a bunch of connections etc, I figured it was characteristic. My bike(2009) has 1250 miles on it and is completely stock. It has never failed to start either.

11. May 25, 2020 #11

Jerry Klay

Jerry Klay

Jerry Klay

I've gotten used to it but still annoying.

It is most annoying when you stall it and everyone is flying down the road. Feels like it takes forever to relight.

rebeltaz83 likes this.
  12. May 25, 2020 #12

Jerry Klay

Jerry Klay

Jerry Klay

I had 2-3 starting issues. Basically dead. Nothing. It eventually started then no probablem for months and lots of starts. Then did it again. Very annoying! I emailed Tim. What a great guy! He got it first shot.

The starter button is a piece of crap. Basically an open contact. I ride all year round and unfortunately to much in the rain and salt spray. Long and short. Cleans the contact with an old points file. Problem Gone!

BTW. We tried to bump start it. No Dice. According to Tim. Unless you can get the engine spinning at some X RPM it won't start. I don't know if it is ignition or fuel that is disabled until this RPM is met.Guessing maybe this could be part of the start delay.

Tim is an awesome guy!

rebeltaz83 likes this.
  13. May 25, 2020 #13

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

rebeltaz83

I stalled mine at a light, day I went and rode the dragon. Long day, exhausted, ready to get home. Twisted the throttle, let out the clutch, and it died.... Didn't drop it thank God, but I crushed my man hood, lol.... Got it fired back up, smoked the tire, and held my family jewels riding down the road, lol.... Thought I was gonna have to pull over to puke lol.... Embarrassed, pissed, hurting, exhausted.... All I could do was laugh.

ouchez likes this.
  14. May 25, 2020 #14

ouchez

ouchez

ouchez

I did the same thing on my 05,,hurt my nutz for sure! The next day I sent my stock seat to UFO for their gun fighter seat,,love that seat, and no more smashing the Nutz! :)

rebeltaz83 likes this.
  15. May 25, 2020 #15

ouchez

ouchez

ouchez

Get a Battery Tender, and use it when you park the Max at night, nothing like a battery at peak strength all the time. I have 3 cars and I am always rotating a battery Tender on them and am amazed at how low the initial reading is when I plug them in, even on newer low mileage cars. My 05 has the odyssey battery, eight years now.

16. May 26, 2020 #16

Hemi52rb

Hemi52rb

Hemi52rb

i just turn key on and off 3 to 4 times to prime fuel system and leave throttle alone then try to start and it starts right up .

17. May 27, 2020 #17

ouchez

ouchez

ouchez

Great idea!

18. May 27, 2020 #18

Jerry Klay

Jerry Klay

Jerry Klay

I have waited maybe 5 seconds. Time for the the tach to cycle up and back to 0 then hit the button.

Same.. 3-4 seconds to start. I'm just used to it. I don't know any other bike that starts like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted