Color Rite Paint Cross Reference?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbiker

Reaction score
I'm wanting to paint my 86 Max to the 92 Max' Red-E Sparkle color. I ordered the Color Rite top coat #5480-1 plus their clear coat off of Amazon.com for a good price but Color Rite says I need to apply a base after applying primer and before applying the top coat.

Color Rite says I need base #1480 but they want $33.00 for an 11oz can! No telling how long it will take them to ship it. I've looked everywhere online for a cheaper price and cannot find it. I'm wondering if any other paint manufacturer offers the equivalent color base. Maybe PPG? I've also looked for information regarding cross reference numbers and have had no luck. Anyone know where I can get Color Rite base in an aerosol cheap or if any other mfg makes and equivalent base?

Thanks in advance!

Fatbiker

when dealing with top coats in paint world you should not need a clear coat. The clear is built into top coats thats why rhey are called top coats. A base coat color will need clear top coat. Ive always gone with single stage top coats so far because it easier lol. Now I do not know why they say you need a base coat for a top coat.. if your painting bare metal yea you need a primer. But if the part is already painted or even just clear coat over aluminum you can just use 800 wet sand and sand it all so its dull and shoot your top coat.. did you try calling color rite and ask about this base there saying you need? Maybe a primer but you dont need to prime anything if your just painting body work. And ask if there top coats require a clear coat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

And I hope you ordered more than one can one can will not do all 3 of the body parts. I prefer napa single stage urethane. Flows very well. Colorrite is pretty expensive. You can get a quart of urethane from napa about $45 the hardener and other $28 and reducer $20 you dont even use all the hardener and reducer with a quart for if you wanted to paint something else you would only have to get the paint.

there is single stage, two stage, and three stage depending on the effects you want for the final color.

According to the Color-rite website and instructional video there is primer, base coat, top coat (the actual colored paint), then the clear coat.

I've sanded the plastic fenders, applied the primer, and am waiting for the base to come in the mail. Like you said earlier 11oz is not going to cover two fenders which means I need more. At $45 including shipping 11oz of base is expensive! I need an alternative.

In case anyone asks, I did try applying some of the paint directly onto the primer and it didn't come out right.

Fatbiker

So fatbiker you are actually using the 3 stage setup they have? That would make sense. I can look some more when I have time. But I believe to order any paint over internet will be expensive for shipping. Never did it but I assume either the thinner or hardner is hazmat.

I cant not find info on this base 1480. But after looking at there website holy cow I can not believe how much they want for paint! 200 for a quart!! I bought a quart with hardner and reducer from napa for like $80 in this blue metallic

uploadfromtaptalk1396524794155.jpg

And just paint was 42. Theres more than e nought hardner and reducer to use more than just one quart of paint

Yes, I'm a complete noob when it comes to painting (except crayons on my wall) so I am following Color-Rite's 3-step instructions to the letter. With their prices it's too expensive to make mistakes.

Like I mentioned earlier I found a good deal on clear coat and top coat on Amazon but I can only find the base coat on Color-Rite's website plus a few web distributors and as mentioned it's expensive. I'd love to find a local dealer that could sell me an aerosol close to the Red-E Sparkle color that doesn't require a base coat. Any ideas?

You can find a local paint place even napa look threw there color chips and find something close or ask if they have a color match to the paint code. And buy one of these if you really want to stick with a aerosol

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738/

The paint comes out thick with these so watch it or you will get runs. I also would recommend if you have a air compressor just get a harbor freight special gun they actually can lay paint out pretty dam good!

The base color came in yesterday and I applied it today. It was a silver color with a kind of sparkle to it. After a couple of coats and a few hours to dry I applied the top coat and it looks pretty good! The faux gas tank was painted Red-E Sparkle at the factory so I've used it as a reference. The gas tank is a slightly darker tone and the clear coat on it appears thick and very shiny. I'm hoping that exposure to the sun will cause the color to get darker and I plan to use a 2K gloss clear coat to give it that shiny look. Will let you know how it turns out.

Fatbiker

Latest posts

Back