color scheme advice sought - 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do

• Re-spray it black'n'gold

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Leave it alone

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Come up with something less Tron

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

johnpclynch

Reaction score
After getting a few ideas from other peoples new paint, I spent a few minutes playing around on the computer.
What do ye think I should do?
PS: this will be a back yard - rattle can spray job

current color scheme
attachment.php

new; black with yellow/gold pinstripe
attachment.php

Last edited:
How about Steampunk?
Copper/Brown shading, lots of polished brass and copper bling, heavy on brown leather and vinyl.
M'lady would luv you for it!

Attachments

• Steampunk lady.jpg
    Steampunk lady.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 39
Time, patience, money - none of which I have :biglaugh:

attachment.php

Attachments

• CU.jpg
    CU.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 80
^^^
Those gas mask headlights are really popular among the fighter scene, I'd never seen one on a Max before though. Orange and brown is a little too 70's for my taste but the style is definitely interesting.

The problem with crowdsourcing color ideas is it's purely a matter of taste. Best thing you can do is spend some time on google images, just search stuff like "custom vmax" and see how the bike looks in different color schemes. Pick one you like.

Personally I always thought the Vmax looks great mostly blacked out. It's a rough, mean styled bike and wears blacks/dark colors at least to me better than bright ones. Deep red accents on blacks are kind of that classic hot/rat rod look which also mirror's the bike's muscle car style. Gold can look good with black but has to be in moderation, to me it's a color that looks gaudy and "ghetto-ish" if overused. Keep it to just some pinstriping and accent pieces for best results.

If you're going to backyard rattle can it, you might want to get a set of roached stock panels to repaint if yours are in good shape.
Otherwise a few tips
-Prep, prep, prep. Just hosing the parts with a can will not yield good results. Sanding and priming are just as if not more important than the spraying itself.
-Use good quality automotive paint. Dupli-color is widely available and will look better than rust-oleum or whatever.
-The initial coat should be very light, don't aim for 100% coverage right away. Let that flash for a few minutes, then do 2-3 moderate coats to fill in. Follow the paint directions for flash and drying times.
-I'd suggest using a hardened clear. "Spray Max 2K" comes in a two-part spray can that you "activate" by popping a thing in the bottom which releases hardener, and then it's good for like 8 hours or something. Regular clears will eventually yellow from UV exposure and won't hold up nearly as well. It's like $20/can and can be tough to find locally, but if you don't want to bother with an air sprayer and mixing paint, it's kind of the only option.

I've had problems before with rattle can paint - laying it on too heavy and it cracks while drying or it reacts and lifts the undercoat so this time I'm going to put all that experience to good use. I started wet sanding the bodywork with 400 grit last night, my target is one panel/piece per night and start spraying next week (when my wife flies off to Canada)

I had a photoshoped version with more gold accents (carb covers/fins/levers/etc) and it did look very 70's/80's - reminded me of a BMW K1
mnnvxk.jpg

Anyway, my plan is to do it cheap so even if I change the color every 1-2 years it still won't be as expensive as a professional body shop job

Max is black now :punk:I've yet to decide if I'll go with the pinstripe...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1-ORIG.jpg
    1-ORIG.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 3-PIN.jpg
    3-PIN.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 4-BLK.jpg
    4-BLK.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 55
I'm going to try 6mm Gold vinyl tape
731-pc500a.jpg

And might look something like this... where less is more
attachment.php

Attachments

• 5-PIN2.JPG
    5-PIN2.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 64
Painting is finished, it came out much better than I expected...
but now my engine looks untidy:bang head:
IMAG1234.jpg

IMAG1232.jpg

Very nice!! :clapping:

If you find the motor a little 'untidy' what about an engine bolt accent kit in gold? Subtle but noticeable....:confused2:

If you can get thru the name.....these guys have some nice stuff.... http://www.tastynuts.com/Home

Mmmm, they do have some tasty nuts.... and bolts too :rofl_200:

A gold kit would tie everything together nicely

Back