COMFORTABLE SEAT? GEN 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick M

Reaction score
I don't have any issues with the OEM seat until I sit on a really comfortable seat like an ultra glide or something.

Does anyone have a must have seat upgrade? Or is everyone just rocking with what we have?

I had a local company install a gel pad in my factory seat. Helps quite a bit. For long rides I add an Airhawk inflatable air cousin. The trick with the Airhawk is minimum inflation.

Here is a kink to the Airhawk.
https://airhawk.net/product/dual-sport-2/
I contacted a company call Danny Grey Custom Seats. They said they can install an Airhawk air system in the factory seat. Looked interesting but I personally have not tried them.
Here is a link to the Danny Grey Custom Seat website.
http://www.dannygray.com/seats/airhawkseats.asp

I had a local company install a gel pad in my factory seat. Helps quite a bit. For long rides I add an Airhawk inflatable air cousin. The trick with the Airhawk is minimum inflation.

Here is a kink to the Airhawk.
https://airhawk.net/product/dual-sport-2/
I contacted a company call Danny Grey Custom Seats. They said they can install an Airhawk air system in the factory seat. Looked interesting but I personally have not tried them.
Here is a link to the Danny Grey Custom Seat website.
http://www.dannygray.com/seats/airhawkseats.asp
The guys that did the gel pad... Did they cut away some foam before adding the gel?? I DON'T want to raise the seat height .000001"

I've been kicking this around for a while now.. we did something like that with the gel to a friends Kawasaki H2.. so gel some memory foam.. it was kind of a hack but my buddy said it's great... :)

I have not gotten to the point yet that the OEM seat is not comfortable for me. However I haven't even ridden through a full tank yet. It is inevitable. I have 4 different seats for my Raider. I would also consider gel pad over memory foam over stock foam. Jerry you are not the first that I have heard of guys doing and it turning out really well. I do hate to mess with my original seat in the case that whatever was done didn't turn out like I had expected. Right now I am liking the looks of the Corbin. Which I have had several just not on VMax's.

Typical of my life.. so with the 4 gal tank we were stopping every 2 hrs. Now with 6 it's like 3+ hrs and so the seat thing is becoming more of an issue.

I'll check what those guys have to offer.. what is Sean's web site?

The guy that put the gel pad in my seat took it apart, cut away some of the foam then installed the gel pad. The seat is the same height & you would never know it was altered. That guy that did my seat knew the upholstery business. He use to have an upholstery shop called Seats By Lee & upgraded seats for John Cornell of UFO performance back in the day. When I met him he was retired only doing small jobs from his home, that luckily was 10 miles from were I live. Lee use to also travel to Sturgis & other bike rally's performing upholstery work.

Here is what I learned. Not all gel material are equal. The less expensive gel gets hard when it is cold then gets too hot, from your body heat, making it uncomfortable as you ride. Now I supposedly have the better gel. It still is what I would call firm when it is cold & I first get on it until my body heats it up. When it is very hot out the gel does feel warmer than a seat with normal material in it. Also when I get off the seat the there will be an slight indentation & the vinal covering has a slight rippling crease were I sit. This indentation & creasing puffs out a short time after I get off the seat. But it tells me the gel is contouring to my butt to give me a better ride. You may want to question the type of gel being used if you are considering having it installed in your seat.

Prior to having the gel installed I tried a company that installed a memory type foam that they claimed was the same material used in jet fighter planes. We all know how long a pilot sits in the seat of a fighter jet so I thought this is the ticket. That material was terrible making the seat too hard.

So even with the slight draw backs of the gel insert it it much more comfortable than stock.

As far as the Airhawk air cousin it will raise you up. I am 6'2" & it makes the seat height too tall even for me. But it is comfortable for long freeway rides when I am not putting my feet down on the ground. There is that Danny Gray option that he cuts away some of the foam & installs an air cousin. Then you adjust the air pressure in the bladders to your liking. The draw back to that is if an air bladder ever fails the seat would have to come apart for repairs. It may be very comfortable but I have tried this option.

I cut out the foam and replace it with gel seat. Easy to remove the seat cover. Just remove all staples then glue the cover back on later. I made the seat height a bit lower because I'm short. Also put on forward controls so legs are not cramped. Set up is perfect for me now. I left half of left foot peg to allow for easy mounting. Ergonomics is essential IMHO.
20201216_164708.jpg

Latest posts

Back