Comic Relief...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 773

Reaction score
As the snow falls this morning, I thought I'd post a little experience I had last night getting Max ready for the riding season (which could be tomorrow, or 4 weeks from now in Utah)...

Got the new stator, battery, horns, ground to the R/R, and headlight in and all my wiring and crank covers back in order. Went to fire up the bike and it started right up. 13.7V at the batttery, all lights bright and strong....

Let it warm for a bit and gave the throttle a blip..... Headlight dims and filckers..... Release the throttle, headlight shines steady and true.... WTF?!?!?

My first thought, of course, is that I farkled the wiring or missed a ground wire, or that the new stator was screwed... Lots of doom and gloom scenarios went through my head...

I re-ran all the wiring, checked the volts during rev (fine) and was within seconds of posting to the forum when I realized that the rest of my lighting was fine and there was no indication of stumble from the motor....

Pulled the headlight and found that one of the posts to the low beam filament had broken inside the bulb and, while at idle contact was good, when I revved, the vibration was breaking the contact.....

DOH!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl_200:

New bulb and all is well.... Now just waiting for the froks and SPRING.

Morale to the story? Check the simple things first, no matter HOW unlikely they seem (headlight was FINE last time I rode)...

\m/ DS

P.S. The dual horn set up is unbelieveably LOUD. Was a VERY simple mod, too... Here is the link: http://md.co.za/vmax/horn.htm

I chose to run a dedicate ground to the battery and actually used the mounting tabs that came with the horns to mount them outside the exhaust to the bolts holding my engine gaurds. You can kind of see them in my "garage" photo...

Forks are done and I got the Max out to the gas station and back before it STARTED SNOWING AGAIN!!!!!!:bang head:

What an improvement the Progressive springs make... :)

Supposed to be back in the low 60s by the weekend...

*sigh*

Way to go hobejam. Describe if you will the difference in the feel between progressives and stock....

Also, do you have any pics of your bike, yet?

Nice job I hope the snow stops so you can ride! I can't wait to get my bike out of it's prison...still working on getting it painted..I need to feel my new 2" lower progressivly sprung front end too!

Finally stopped snowing... Sun came out... As did the Max. :) New pics in the garage.

Just got myself some progressing springs for the front end too. Did you also install emulators?
I'm not sure if I really need to lay out more $ just yet?

Just got myself some progressing springs for the front end too. Did you also install emulators?
I'm not sure if I really need to lay out more $ just yet?

You don't have to. Just replacing the stock springs is a major improvement. The emulators are like the next step up.

No emulators for me... The springs alone, as mentioned above, are a "night and day" improvement.

I'm not a terribly aggressive rider, but the shorter shocks in the rear and the new springs up front make even cruising more enjoyable... :)

Not to mention the Morley Muscle Seat....

DS

Latest posts

Back