Coming back to life!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docwade

Reaction score
Thanks to all the posters on this forum, their information, and assorted parts / services for helping me bring my 1993 Vmax back to the road. I bought it new in late 1992 over a satellite relay call from NCTAMS MED Naples, Italy to Ohio. I had it shipped over in my personal goods which consisted of the motorcycle. It has been throughout Italy, Germany, and Austria. Then crated up and shipped to Manama, Bahrain. After 18 months it took another container ship trip back to Ohio. I have just replaced the tank due to rust with a lined 93 tank from this forum, new fuel pum and lines, rebuilt carbs by BRC I believe, COPs, and some later shocks to replace my oxidized ones.

Looking good Dan.. If you haven't done so already, pull the fuel pump, filter, fuel lines and carbs.. Clean out the rubber diaphragms and the entire inside of the pump. Get some small pieces of cloth bent over a wire hanger and clean out all your fuel lines. Open up your carbs (take plenty of pictures while breaking it down if you're not familiar with it). Clean out all that rust and crap that got into your carbs.

I've lost countless hours, trying to clean my fuel system. finally pulled the tank, cleaned and coated it, but the fuel system still had contaminants in there, until I cleaned EVERYTHING the tank was connected too. There were micro foreign matter, (FM) that 3 ultra-sonic cleaning sessions could not remove. Had to run 1/2 bottle of Seafoam with a full tank of fuel, twice to get it right.. To this day, my filter and carbs looks like only clear water has been running thru it. Engine purring like a kitten.

Looking good Dan.. If you haven't done so already, pull the fuel pump, filter, fuel lines and carbs.. Clean out the rubber diaphragms and the entire inside of the pump. Get some small pieces of cloth bent over a wire hanger and clean out all your fuel lines. Open up your carbs (take plenty of pictures while breaking it down if you're not familiar with it). Clean out all that rust and crap that got into your carbs.

Thanks for the suggestions. After I pulled and replaced the tank, I replaced all the fuel lines, fuel pump, filter, and had the carbs rebuilt by BRC.

Slowly coming back. Still need to change the oil, final drive oil, coolant. I got a yuasa battery from Yamaha parts but will likely go with the gold wing battery next time.

Restore is looking good. Battery wise I would go with the Apex Battery, it's cheap with a ton of CCA. It's been my favorite battery so far

Latest posts

Back