Coming out of long term storage.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it does.
Negative battery cable needed some attention. Everything seems to work well now.

Glad it was something simple, enjoy the ride. May I ask you write a short post w/pics on something interesting you visited or saw on the bike?

Well it ran briefly. I shut it down when gas started dripping out of the left side carbs. Debating whether or not to rebuild them as this bike will be for display only.

gas started dripping out of the left side carbs
Grit in the float seat/needle valve, most-likely. Contaminated gas. Drain the float bowls, analyze the crap that appears, check the gas tank, and you probably have a rusty tank, which will need cleaning and the easiest way to do that thoroughly is to remove it. Don't forget a new gas filter. The T-fitting gas line, which splits gas to each pair of carbs, is a good one to have on hand, as they age, any manipulation will break them. Have one on-hand before you start work on the fuel system.

Using a long ratchet extension to tap on the side of the offending carburetor's float bowl may allow passage of the grit from the float valve seat/needle valve. Think of it as the bike's 'kidney stone.' However, it inevitably will happen again, as the tank continues to shed rust material into the fuel delivery system.

A static display shouldn't have gas in it, so that may not be an issue if it's never gonna run. However, an empty gas tank will rust over time. You should fill it with something to keep it from rusting, maybe ATF, and attach a tag bolted onto the bike the ATF is in there, and needs to be drained, and rinsed, before adding gasoline. It cannot hurt to place a sticker onto the faux gas tank warning of the ATF, and one on the speedometer too. Redundancy!

Last edited:
The tank was removed and de-rusted. I sloshed some 32:1 premix around in it then dumped that out and put some av gas in. I won't be riding it other than around my yard maybe. It sounds great with the SuperTrapp exhaust. I would like to keep it running unless it becomes to much of a PIA. The filter was replaced. I didn't think to look at the fuel pump. Judging by the sound it makes, I assume it is a diaphragm pump. Are they easy to remove and clean? Thanks for the advice. I need to get back to a car I am restoring so I might be doing the carbs later this year.

The tank was removed and de-rusted. I sloshed some 32:1 premix around in it then dumped that out and put some av gas in. I won't be riding it other than around my yard maybe. It sounds great with the SuperTrapp exhaust. I would like to keep it running unless it becomes to much of a PIA. The filter was replaced. I didn't think to look at the fuel pump. Judging by the sound it makes, I assume it is a diaphragm pump. Are they easy to remove and clean? Thanks for the advice. I need to get back to a car I am restoring so I might be doing the carbs later this year.
I coated my '02's tank almost 20 years ago and it's still going strong. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand but I hear POR 15 is very good. I initially just de-rusted mine but it kept flash rusting so I coated it. The fuel pump can be disassembled to check the diaphragms and clean the check valves easily. The check valves can stick if fuel was left in the system for a long time but if you already had it running you should be good to go there.

Back