Confused about brake upgrade.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mivmx

Reaction score
What is the advantage of R1 front calipers. I have a master cyl and caliper set off an '06 R1 to put on my '06 Vmax. I believe these are a direct fit. Please help me understand the difference. I guess what I really want to know is what the best brake setup would be(front and rear). Thanks in advance.
:ummm::ummm:

06 r1 will not work on the vmax, 06 are radial mount calipers.

98-02 r1 calipers are a direct fit to the max.

personally i dont think the stopping power was any better with thw r1 brakes, just a different feel.

I had just installed r1 calipers/master and stainless lines on my max, then bought another max that had stock brakes with HHpads and stainless lines.

Myself and a couple other maxers rode both bike s and compared. My new max with the stock set up had much better braking.

At the same time another friend of mine installed r1calipers/master and he had the same results, he felt the r1 brakes didnt work as well.

but ther are many other who will dispute this.

From what I've heard, changing the master cylinder is what can make the biggest difference to both feel and braking power.

I'm going to stick with my original 1-piston calipers on my '86, but fit 93-07 wave rotors, HH pads and the adapters for the calipers I got from Jedi. (That's if I can get hold of those wave rotors - can't find either here or on eBay anymore, and the guy's not responding to my email :-( )

From what I've heard, changing the master cylinder is what can make the biggest difference to both feel and braking power.

I'm going to stick with my original 1-piston calipers on my '86, but fit 93-07 wave rotors, HH pads and the adapters for the calipers I got from Jedi. (That's if I can get hold of those wave rotors - can't find either here or on eBay anymore, and the guy's not responding to my email :-( )

There are plenty on ebay, just search R1 rotor for example... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fron...1716754QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Are these the same ones from the same seller?

There were reports of other ones coming from China that shattered in use, I'm quite wary of that. I really wanna try to get the same ones you guys have been using successfully.

Also is it any year R1 that will fit, or only some?

Here is the guy's website http://www.areyourshop.com/
I would think they all come from the same source .
The size you want is about 298mm outside from memory

Looking again, refined the search to YZF 600 rotors http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fron...1260175QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

is the seller" saveyourbuy" user name , are the rotors and seller I dealt with.
They haven't exploded thus far.

Edit , maybe his listing above has wrong description, but these would have been mine as they are 5mm thick and not like the other listing I posted,
Here is the correct description http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fron...14&_trkparms=72:1171|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Regardless of all, they should be 5mm thick

I'm looking to replace my front rotors too. These rotors you guys are talking about, are they a direct replacement with no mods involved?

What is the advantage of R1 front calipers. I have a master cyl and caliper set off an '06 R1 to put on my '06 Vmax. I believe these are a direct fit. Please help me understand the difference. I guess what I really want to know is what the best brake setup would be(front and rear). Thanks in advance.
:ummm::ummm:

To get the best set up you need to upgrade the whole package,

master, calipers, rotors and stainless lines.

I have been following a thread on the R1 forum in regards to the cheap ebay wave rotors.

The people that have actually used and tested them on the track have positive feedback.

the only negative feedback is from the narrow minded idiots that have not used them and bitch about thme being made in china, they fail to realize alot of our Jap bikes parts are being sourced to china, that is the big debate there.

The ones they say to get are from tobyhaung on ebay.

What is so good about the HH pads? What does HH mean? Thank you to everyone, there is alot of great info being shared.

wouldn't these be better?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Front-Brake-Dis...h=item260369452589&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

There are the same outer and inner diameters, but 5mm thick rather than 4.5mm
Talking about brakes was wondering if you guys know if the Brembo rear master cylinder off a XJR1300 will fit a 85 Vmax, I've fitted the rear adapter plate to fit Blue spot callipers on the resr with the larger floating disc and was looking to upgrade the master cylinder as well?

What is so good about the HH pads? What does HH mean? Thank you to everyone, there is alot of great info being shared.
"HH or GG HH Pads These have the highest coefficient of Friction and are ideal for high-performance motorcycles and race track use. Some modern performance motorcycles specify HH as standard. HH Pads can sometimes prove grabby, scary in the wet and ineffective in every day use when they fail to reach a good operating temperature "

*Most 'street oriented' HH pads are very capable for everyday use. Although they generally are responsive and provide more than adequate stopping power, they can be harder on rotors. Lesser friction pads are sometimes easier on rotors, but that way I look at it, rotors should be considered a replaceable part anyway. I'd rather have stunning brake performance when needed even if my rotors won't last forever with the more aggressive pads.

Vinnie

Back