Consistent misfire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ck1996

Reaction score
My 06' Vmax with 23,xxx miles on it has been down for the last 2 month due to a misfire that appeared after a short 3 mile ride. About a month prior I had my carbs cleaned by DannyMax, replaced the plugs with oem ones, air filter, fuel filter, and did a few more regular maintenance things.

Now that I have the free time to tinker with it, I have no clue where to start. The only thing I've checked was if the plugs are getting spark and they seem to be fine.

It would be hard for me to believe that the carbs are giving me fits after less that 1,500 miles. Does anyone have any advice on what to check?

It’s hard to see an ignition related misfire. Test your coils, wires and plug caps with an Ohmmeter.

Mark

Unusual for carbs to give consistent misfires, they are normally more random in nature. Agree with Mark on starting with the 'fire trail' first. Bike has an average of about 1K miles per year and corrosion in the plug caps and lead wires is a real possibility.

Might also suggest applying di-electric grease in every connector including fuses

Perhaps an air leak? Spray some starter fluid or WD-40 with a wand on the carb boots and then the VBoost to cyl head areas, to see if the engine smooths-out, & revs increase. Then you'll know where to repair.

Sorry for the lack of updates, my Silverado decided to eat a lifter and the cam lobe, Now that was a fun fix!

Anyways I checked for air leaks and there was none, ohmed the coils they were good. And went ahead and replaced the wires and plug caps since they are cheap. That seemed to remedy the problem, hopefully it won't come back again.

But I just tore the Vmax back down again to put an Ignitech TCI in that I bought from Sean Morley. Installing it wasn't hard, but it does not want to start. It has a long crank, pings, and backfires. I'll add some clips of it at the end of the post. I was using the Vmax New map included with Sean's disk. Any and all help would be appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/7mJK0LO

Reversed coil leads? The front right coil fires the left front cylinder (#1) and the front left coil fires the front right cylinder (#3).

Email me! We are in the very middle of creating new maps! There are some issues with the wiring configuration of the old maps we had and old wiring vs this new stuff. It's likely just needing a different map installed!

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be moisture trapped between the spark plug and plug cover. When the motor heated up the water vaporised/ionised and allowed the HV to short to the chassis.
The plug cover had deteriorated over time and water leaked in when I was washing the bike.
Hope this works for you. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back