Convert stock exhaust to slip-ons?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirch

Reaction score
I recently got a reinforced rear fork on my 93 that doesn't fit with the stock exhaust. I put on slip-ons which are allright but I like the stock exhaust look better. Would it be possible to take the stock exhaust and cut the middle section (cat?) out and weld things back together to create two slip-on type exhausts that look completely stock?
Has anybody ever done this? Would it increase or decrease airflow? Any other considerations?

Last edited:
The collector box has scavenging built-into it, it's actually quite efficient; just compare it to a Cobra 4-into-4 for sound and HP. Sure, your exhaust could physically be reworked to eliminate the collector box, but you're looking-at less peak HP, more noise, and the cost of doing it. That sounds like a crummy trade-off for what is supposed to be a performance bike, from its stock configuration. Use of the stock megaphones scabbed-into the system with your modded swingarm probably is possible with enough time and skills, but replacement with something-else is probably a more cost-effective path.

I'm sure you could fab some-sort of a crude manifold tying the four headers into a crosswise-tube, and then a single tube at either end to a pair of literbike (or bigger) dual exhaust canisters. It won't work as-well as-stock, it won't look stock, but it would allow your braced swingarm.

Was this a custom Dutch fabrication? I would expect that retaining the stock exhaust would be a priority in its design, or a bold italic warning that you would need to replace the stock exhaust, to fit the modified swingarm, prior to purchase to fully-inform the prospective purchaser. Kerker mentions in their 4/1 VMax system about having to remove one centerstand bracket, and the need to at-least bend the other out of the way, if-not also remove it.

Sounds like you should just live with the system as it is and keep your euros in your wallet.

Last edited:
Thanks for your elaborate informative reply.
I knew beforehand things wouldn't fit together but I thought I would like the look of the slip-on Doma's (in the photo, yet without the rear fork) better than I do.
Didn't know what scavenging was so learned something new :)
Would the modified exhaust perform the same as Cobra slip-ons? Or perhaps a bit better as the Cobra's are 4-4 and this would be 4-2?
upload_2019-2-4_19-22-9.png

Looks like the centerstand is already deleted. I suspect your aftermarket exhaust if it's just two slip-ons from what I can see, is like every-other slip-on system, no power increase, which is an improvement over the Cobra 4/4, with no scavenging, which costs-you about 10%, or-more in peak HP over the OEM stock exhaust. The exhaust needs to be header pipes replaced, and the canisters replaced, with some engineering behind it, to make HP over the OEM system. Since you're in Europe, you have lots of choices from EU manufacturers of complete replacement systems. Your research among the websites in your part of the world are your best assets, to save you $$$ shipping charges and import duties.

Latest posts

Back