Converting from metric to SAE?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus36

Reaction score
I am curious as to how many of you convert from metric fasteners to US standard (SAE) when doing modifications or repairs?

I have converted my rear fender relocation mounting bolts, air box screws, a coolant hose clamp, slider spools, and engine case guards to SAE hex bolts (Allen). Mainly because I have drawers full of stainless standard nuts and bolts. If I need metric, I go to the local nut and bolt warehouse and get a stainless version if available. Anything that is already threaded stays metric, but I find I prefer the fit using SAE where you use a nut and bolt.

Of course this means working out of two separate tool boxes.

Thoughts / Pros and Cons are welcome.

What else is left? That seems like most of the stuff that's nut/bolt that's not threaded other than the coolant reservoir bracket. I'd just go to Home depot with a metric bolt and stick it in the thread checker panel in the hardware aisle. You'd at least get close that way.

Not so much changing standard to metric as much as changing everything to allen heads.
The only Standard nut I have is the bolt that twistedmax puts on the maxgasser. Could you possibly sell a metric one with that Rick?:clapping:

I can't see putting imperial fasteners on the bike. I have a shelf at work 15' long x 6' tall stocked with stainless fasteners ranging from 1/4" to 1/2". Plenty of opportunity but I find it inconvenient.

I have a few boxes of metric stainless at home for toy repairs.

When I mounted my license plate frame I found I was out of M6 nuts. I ended up running a M6 tap thru a 1/4 stainless nut and using them. Now, every year when I go to install my new registration sticker, I have to remove the frame. I always forget they are standard nuts. Then I grumble to myself saying that I should remember by now.

I surrendered to the metric system and try to keep everything metric thread. I, like a lot of older wrenchers spent a fortune on SAE tools before being forced to duplicate 70% of them in metric. The big stuff isn't as critical as wrenches and sockets go. The day I bought metric tap and dies, thread chasers and duel reading calipers was the day I turned the corner. I'll always think in SAE terms and convert it mentally. It's less of a big deal today than the first time I opened the hood of a Toyota and nothing fit. :rofl_200:
Steve

I am curious as to how many of you convert from metric fasteners to US standard (SAE) when doing modifications or repairs?

I have converted my rear fender relocation mounting bolts, air box screws, a coolant hose clamp, slider spools, and engine case guards to SAE hex bolts (Allen). Mainly because I have drawers full of stainless standard nuts and bolts. If I need metric, I go to the local nut and bolt warehouse and get a stainless version if available. Anything that is already threaded stays metric, but I find I prefer the fit using SAE where you use a nut and bolt.

Of course this means working out of two separate tool boxes.

Thoughts / Pros and Cons are welcome.

I don't try to re-invent the wheel. If the part is metric is stays metric and vice versa on SAE. All of my bikes are Japanese , so metric has been a part of my tool box since 1971 when I bought my '70 XS-1 , 1 owner new /used with 6K miles.

Attachments

• # 1 Group Chip 303.jpg
    # 1 Group Chip 303.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
I vote to keep things whatever they left the factory with, but there are rare instances when I might have switched something. Nothing re-tapped, but if all's I have is a 1/4" x 20 x 1" bolt/nut around to screw-on a license plate, well, that's what it gets. I wouldn't consciously go switching good fasteners for English/Imperial, just for the sake of switching things. And, it always makes it easier on the next owner if it's what it was born-with.

Don't try to turn it into a Harley. Lol. I'm a suspect by saying this but standard system sucks. The metric system is much easier and clear. Inches, TPIs and such is so confusing. Why say it's 1/8 or 0,125 when it's much easier to see 3mm.

Don't try to turn it into a Harley. Lol. I'm a suspect by saying this but standard system sucks. The metric system is much easier and clear. Inches, TPIs and such is so confusing. Why say it's 1/8 or 0,125 when it's much easier to see 3mm.
The exact opposite when you're used to it.

Being the family mechanic, I have a rule: I will not work on non-metric vehicles. This has played a large role in the vehicle purchases of about 20 family members and several of my neighbors.

Being an engineer, I am jealous of the rest of the world. Our units are just straight hosed. Pounds-force/pounds-mass. What a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well A Harley Is that way from the factory part metric & part standard since they have been running metric forks forever & if we get into the Vrod & the new street serious they are complete metric. I am talking from experience to.

As others has said, why make life more difficult for yourself?

I remember the frustrations of my BSA Bantam that had BSF and Whitworth treads on it. Whichever spanner I had to hand it was the wrong type!

As others has said, why make life more difficult for yourself?

I remember the frustrations of my BSA Bantam that had BSF and Whitworth treads on it. Whichever spanner I had to hand it was the wrong type!

I worked at a couple power stations that used British turbines and auxiliaries, in addition to Japanese and U.S equipment.
The tool cribs had to be HUGE, given the vast array of spanners, sockets, taps&dies, etc, in BSF, Whitworth, metric and SAE that had to be stocked.
Also a nightmare:bang head: for the tool crib attendants!
Cheers!

I'm guessing the Brits made their own tools for the cars they built because they knew no one else would buy them.:rofl_200:

When I changed my clutch slave cylinder, I planned to close the line using a M12 nut on the banjo bolt to hold the break fluid.
I was so wrong... and made such mess, because I don't have any other beside metric.

Latest posts

Back