Cool Weather Starting Issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild8900

Reaction score
You guys have any general tips for starting in cool ~56F weather?
I've not ridden this bike during the cooler seasons yet so I haven't perfected the cold start. I started this morning out with a full choke start and it would just turn over but never start up. Was a bummer of a day.

I've yet to check whether the previous owner did the infamous crimp fix. Can't remember whether the battery was outputting a decent amount of juice either.

You guys have any other tips? I'd rather not take the car tomorrow, considering how nice it was today.

Every bike is different....some will like just a little bike of choke...some want more. Question....how are the plugs?

If the voltage is above 11.0 or so....thats enough to start up. One time my battery got weak....and voltage was in the 10's and it would turn over...but not start the bike.

Every bike is different....some will like just a little bike of choke...some want more. Question....how are the plugs?

If the voltage is above 11.0 or so....thats enough to start up. One time my battery got weak....and voltage was in the 10's and it would turn over...but not start the bike.

Plugs looking good. I *think* I need to re-sync the carbs though. I'll have to check the voltage this weekend. I get the feeling it's voltage related though as I know the battery isn't a high-end brand.

My bike is an absolute p.i.a. to start if the plugs are gapped to much. With cops,
gapped at .026 it fires first shot every time. Cold I need choke for a couple of minutes.
What are yours gapped at? OEM coils or?

I'd say 56 isn't that cold and couldn't imagine needing full choke on most bikes. Our morning temps are at 50 to 60 range at the moment and I use about 1/4 or 1/3 choke with stock carbs and a K&N filter. I find it always helps to roll it out into the sun for a while before trying to start it on a colder morning to help warm the oil/engine block. My bike would never start on a battery that was less than 12volts, a 12volt battery that is 12volts is actually flat. Just yesterday I replaced my truck battery that wouldn't even turn the engine over at 12.2v

Matt

My bike with COPs w/ plugs gapped at .026 likes the choke to start in anything below 80 degree temps which is most of the time in my area.

Put half choke and it started! My Friday is saved!

My bike is an absolute p.i.a. to start if the plugs are gapped to much. With cops,
gapped at .026 it fires first shot every time. Cold I need choke for a couple of minutes.
What are yours gapped at? OEM coils or?

I haven't checked, I'd say OEM.

Sean's big battery box mod, complete with a larger battery to match, put an end to my Cold Cranking Amp - cool morning starting woes.

My 86 started with no choke until 32 Degrees. On dry winter days, I have ridden in 15 below with Full choke just ride it and had to reach down and continue to reset the choke just to ride as the throttle pulls in the choke at a certain throttle levels. Mechanical action I believe.

If my Max won't start then it's almost always the battery
but if I'm having trouble keeping it turning over while riding (cutting out at the lights etc.) then it's probably carb icing - I even stuck a camera in there to prove it one day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBjZHl7HscA
[lucky it didn't come loose]

If my Max won't start then it's almost always the battery
but if I'm having trouble keeping it turning over while riding (cutting out at the lights etc.) then it's probably carb icing - I even stuck a camera in there to prove it one day

[lucky it didn't come loose]

Jesus! I didn't expect that much ice when you said icing.

Latest posts

Back