Cooland thermostat valve

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supercharger

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
I'm wondering the thermostat valve is really nescessary. Because i not ride in the "cold season" time.

What will happen for the engine if the coolant system always are 100% open? :ummm:

Then the engine will warm up much slower than usual. Better to have the thermostat in.

It will take longer to heat up but then overheat since the fluid will pass through the radiator too fast to have time to transfer heat effectively.

Aha. So the valve have 2 functions. delay the cooling and reduce the waterpump flow.

That's a small part of it's function. The main basic function is to regulate flow in order to maintain a specific desired temperature range that will aid the fuel burn to be it's most efficient.

Hi everybody.
I'm wondering the thermostat valve is really nescessary. Because i not ride in the "cold season" time.

What will happen for the engine if the coolant system always are 100% open? :ummm:
Short answer, yes.
There is an optimum temperature for an engine to run at and it is the thermostats job to a) get it to that temperature a.s.a.p. and b) once there maintain it.

In the case of a), how quickly an engine will reach operating temperature will depend on the ambient temperature and the speed of the bike.

Without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious, it will take a lot longer to heat up in sub zero temps than it will when in the high 20's (C). The 'stat will stay closed for longer in cold temperatures to allow the engine to heat up more quickly. It will open sooner as the ambient temperature rises.

In b) once we are at operating temp. then as road speed more air will go through the radiator so will reduce the temperature of the coolant.
The 'stat will reduce the flow through the rad' to compensate for this.

I guess the human equivalent of removing the thermostat would be to be naked in all weathers...in most cases not a good idea!

Latest posts

Back