Coolant Breather - seems clogged - should there be flow?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black88mx6

Reaction score
I am doing some long needed maintenance including coolant flushing. Need to replace some parts due to corrosion. This will include the upper coolant manifold where the radiator cap resides and the coolant drain cock valve and piping under the radiator which was clogged. I may also replace the water pump seal while I am at it based on recommendations from here.

Now I am stuck with the coolant breather. Its under the carbs and the clip is very hard to access. I tried blowing down the tube and I used some compressed air. Nothing, no drainage or movement of water though the water pump. I expect that I have another blockage here or is there some sort of check valve that would not allow air or water flow from the top?

Thanks - 90VMAX

I was able to pull the hose off without removing the carbs. The good news; only the hose was/is clogged. I was able to test compressed air coming out the orifice by putting air through the water pump and blocking off the cylinder head hoses and cylinder drain plugs. Looks like the passages are clear or clear enough now for a flush to work.

Back