Coolant in intake valves

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seve Moreno

Reaction score
I noticed the bike wasn't getting up to operating temp and running really rough. I removed the carbs and noticed green coolant sitting in the closed valves for 3 of the 4 intakes. I'm tring to figure out how it leaks over in there. I've pulled the top cover exposing the cams thinking I would find some sort of gasket gone bad but nothing obvious. Any ideas?

Head gasket, most likely.

You need a copy of the service manual, and head gaskets and valve cover gaskets.

Head gasket, most likely.

You need a copy of the service manual, and head gaskets and valve cover gaskets.

If it was head gasket surly that would leak into the combustion space and not on top of the valves?
I would also expect that there would be signs of overheating on the temperature indicator or coolant being ejected from the overflow.

I agree, maybe overflow or the coolant breather in between cylinders?

Mark

So when I say the top of the valves I don't mean the area with the springs. I mean down the intake past the carbs where the valve opens to the piston.

The intake in the picture is where I've found the coolant. How does it leak in there. I dont see anyway for it to get in.

Attachments

• 20191213_193832.jpg
    20191213_193832.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 53
Any evidence of coolant in the air box and/or carbs? Is there any coolant in the oil?

Any evidence of coolant in the air box and/or carbs? Is there any coolant in the oil?

Any creamy-looking (coffee heavy with cream) deposits in the water filler neck or the overflow tank? Obscured oil window, containing what looks like a milkshake?

I looked at the window for just that and nothing in there. I had recently changed the oil and only ridden maybe 50 miles so it's still a nice golden color. The only sign of coolant was on top of the valve. I removed all the coolant from the bike and started it. It runs but tons of back firing and smoke from both pipes when revving the throttle.

I looked at the window for just that and nothing in there. I had recently changed the oil and only ridden maybe 50 miles so it's still a nice golden color. The only sign of coolant was on top of the valve. I removed all the coolant from the bike and started it. It runs but tons of back firing and smoke from both pipes when revving the throttle.
What color is the smoke?

I've come to the conclusion that I need a new head gasket. the left side exhaust is leaking out oil if it runs for a little bit. This is looking at the bike from the back. I'm hoping to only have to replace the one. does anyone have some insight on which side of the engine would need it?

Does the smoke ever go away or is it just at the start before the engine is warmed up? If it does go away then that means the engine is warmed up. Also, does it idle and does it idle when it's cold at the start. Or does it ever smooth out and stop smoking. Like the like the after mentioned. Does the oil look cloudy or milky?

I've come to the conclusion that I need a new head gasket. the left side exhaust is leaking out oil if it runs for a little bit. This is looking at the bike from the back. I'm hoping to only have to replace the one. does anyone have some insight on which side of the engine would n.eed it?
You will take off whole top. Replace both. Most likely has nothing to do with your problem.

the smoke does not go away. I have oil coming out of the muffler. I haven't looked at the oil but based on the oil coming from the exhaust I think that's evidence enough that the gasket is blown.
Putin, arent they separate? I wouldn't have to replace both at the same time right? I could do one side and put it all together and then do the other side.

You will need to remove the exhaust to get the head(s) off so you should be able to see which one of the cylinders has the problem.

I pretty sure i know the answer to this but can this be done with the motor still in the bike or do i need to pull it?

I pretty sure i know the answer to this but can this be done with the motor still in the bike or do i need to pull it?
Head gaskets can be changed with engine in the frame. It's a pretty big job, though.

Back