Coolant reservoir not resupplying system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Howdy,

I had to flush the cooling system/radiator etc. I went to refill and noticed that the reservoir was clear full and the coolant isn't being drawn back into the system. I expected a lower system coolant level to cause a drawback of coolant but that doesn't seem to be happening.

What do you guys recommend?

Well I know with cars....coolant is not drawn back into the system, and until after the system cools down, and a vacuum is made.

Note the level when cold, then when the engine is at operating temp (i.e. after a ride) then again when cold.

I would expect you to see a difference between the cold and hot observations.

Possible a cracked or loose hose or fitting somewhere between the coolant fill spot and the reservoir?
Maybe the dip tube in the reservoir broken: failed/ loose?

Thanks guys. Is there a diagram/pic of the coolant cap/hose area? I've noted the level when the engine is cold is the same - it's not drawing it back in.

I do not know about a diagram but the hose in question should be black, it goes to the aluminum piece that has a radiator cap, and the port on the reservoir should have a dip tube inside the reservoir that teaches down near the bottom.

I'm not sure how the pressure cap comes into play but could its functionality effect the ability to draw coolant back to the engine during cool down???

The rad. cap is really important to the function of the coolant return system. Check the rubber ring shaped gaskit on the cap for cracks/splits.
Any air in the system may also cause problems. After a system flush and refill, you have to "burp" the system to let air out.

Good luck,
Lew

I see you have an 85, cap probably needs replacing. It should then function as it should......

Back