cooling system rust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellboy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a bit worried. I've been chasing coolant leaks for a while. I've just pulled the hose from the fill area down to the right rear cylinder just by the spark plug due to a new leak at the base of the hose that was seeping into the spark plug recess. I found that both ends the metal fittings have rust and the inside of the hose is rusty coloured, I'm worried. The coolant is very clean when drained and the bike runs great. Is there something special to flush the system with to help clean this up? is this a sign that I should just flush it put it back together and find him a new home for my beloved boy while he's running so nicely??? That would be a very sad day.

By the way, It's an 1988 that I bought a year ago with only 13,000 miles. It had sat a lot in the past obviously and who knows what coolant was used?

All advice is much appreciated, Matt

Personally, I like to drain my cooling system and refill with 50/50 premix coolant(the orange colored stuff because it doesn't contain silicates) before each winter season, just so I don't get rust buildup in the cooling system...

The fittings all corrode over time. If you ever pulled a motor and all the water hoses, you would see both the white and rusty corrosion. You could clean the fittings but that's a labor intensive job. Just make sure your hose clamps are tight and I always reset my clamps to be as close to the barb on the fittings as possible so water is not traveling around the fitting. I'd just keep changing the fluid regularly if it bothers you. I doubt you will damage impeller or anything else with what you described. Nothing in the motor is rusting (Aluminium), accept as the characteristic of a mature and vintage motor!

Thanks Patmax,
I was really hoping that someone with more knowledge than me about this could set my mind at ease a bit, and you have. I still can't figure out how that hose was leaking, it took me 10 minutes to work if off of the fitting. I would still like to know if just flushing with water is best or is there a product I should use ? At least I'll sleep tonight not worrying so much that I've got an engine on the way out. This is my favourite of the 3 V-max's that I've owned.

Hellboy,
I have no useful info for you, but I will say that I love your 1969 pic of you on the minibike. I had one (or more) just like that in the late 70's. Good times indeed.

Good luck with your cooling system troubles.

T

I have two other Ventures, two Honda CX and several Goldwings and I use distilled water and Peak Lifetime coolant. For cleaning the system white vinegar and distilled water after a coolant drain, run and let sit a couple hours and drain, fill with distilled water again and drain twice more and then the final new coolant, always distilled water and never stronger than 50/50.
Too much pressure can build up with a stronger coolant ratio.

I have heard bad stories of using regular coolant flush chemicals, from eating head gaskets to destroying water pump seals.

Vinegar is an excellent rust remover and cleaner. No reason why it can't be run at 100% strength. Also, doesn't have to be run to heat up to be very effective (though i'd maybe run it for a few minutes to get it circulated). I'd also let it sit overnight at a minimum too. The only issue you may have is if the rust is too deep.

Once again, just the type of advice I was hoping for. It's always nice to know that someone has actually tried something and it works, vinegar it is then.
And to you V-four, some of my favourite 2 wheeled memories/stories were on that little 3 H.P. mini bike riding around on our 2 1/2 acres in Arkansas.

Thanks very much everybody, It's 9 A.M. her on Wednesday so up to the shed I go with my vinegar.

Matt

Latest posts

Back