COP Problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89max

Reaction score
So I finished putting in my COP's today, and they dont work. I put everything back together, turned the key, hit the button and nothing. Just crank and crank and crank. I got one backfire out of her. So I pulled one coil off and cranked it, it didnt spark at first, then started sparking like normal. I turned the key off, and it sparked once. I noticed the same thing when all the coils were on the plugs, when I turned the key off, the engine would turn a bit, as one or more plugs fired.

I know I have the COP's all hooked up properly. The fronts cross over from side to side, etc. Is it possible that I have bad coils? I really hope that I didnt somehow fry the CDI, because theres no way I can afford a new one right now. Is there some way to test the coils?

I left the stock coils in the bike, but didnt try hooking them back up, I was just frustrated when I quit, and came in the house to ask all you fine people if you had any ideas.

what brand COPs did you have? If they aren't sparking they aren't sparking. do you have gannons harnesses?

Yeah, I have harnesses with resistors. Mitsubishi COPs. I know they arent the best, but I didnt find that out until after I bought them.

i had even worse issues with mitsu cops. i'd be careful. if the stock coils are firing i'd find some denso cops.

Yeah, ill definately check that on sat. Or sun. I did just buy a set of Denso coils though. So hopefully that will be all it is.

I made harnesses for mine without resistors. With Denso cops & I have no problems at all but, I also got a set that were bad off of ebay so it's good to test them as soon as you get them but if you are running resistors in the harness, then try running"non resistor plugs".
Dave.

I work a lot and probably won't have much time until next week to check anything, so I guess I'll just wait until my Denso COP's come in (probably mon. or tues.) and stick them on to try it. In the mean time, I'll pick up some non-resistor plugs. Should probably be changed anyway, since I have no idea when they were changed last.

I'll keep everyone updated!

I have Mitsu COPs (off a 2007 R6) and zero issues. No resistors in-line, stock plugs. Had them on there for most of last season.

Seems like some bikes just "don't like" Mitsu sticks though. Probably has something to do with the analog vs digital TCIs.

i think the mitsu cops I had were bad. i have digital igntion.

I know yamaha had a problem with the cops in 05-06 & had to replace quite a few it might have been just a certain production run of the Mitsubishis.

That sounds about right, I'm pretty sure the one's I got were from an 05 R6.

Probably take-offs from the recall or something. Just my luck.

I Have been running the mitsu. cops for a few months now, i was running them with the stock ignition, then just switched over to the Dyna 3000 for about three weeks now, they perform great, the cops i have are off of a 07 R1 or R6 dont remember exatly, also using Gannons wiring harnesses with resistors.

Well, got my Denso COP's in the mail yesterday. I don't have any time off until Fri. evening to throw them on and see what happens.

So, until then, thanks again!

Well I had a few spare minutes today so I stuck the Denso coils on. Turned the key, flipped the switch, and it fired right up! Runs perfect now. Thanks for the advice everyone! now if I could only take it out for a spin I'd be alright.

Just finished this mod myself...relatively easy...EXCEPT the front coils :damn angry:...rather than make myself crazy from taking 3/4 of the bike apart I left them in there...:confused2:

Like 89Max said , I'm just waiting for the weather so I can take it out for a ride...

Well I had a few spare minutes today so I stuck the Denso coils on. Turned the key, flipped the switch, and it fired right up! Runs perfect now. Thanks for the advice everyone! now if I could only take it out for a spin I'd be alright.
Excellant news! I hope you get to hit the road soon, I'm dying here as I look at the forecast of 4-5" today and another 1-3" tonight! We at least I can XC ski on all the snow we're getting!

Latest posts

Back